We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3.5 hour transit at Greyhound (Des Moines)

Which Des Moines hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
3.5 hour transit at Greyhound (Des Moines)

Hi everyone! Hope that all is well for you today :) I'm planning to take an overnight Greyhound bus from Kansas City, MO to Chicago, IL on Jan 1; the schedule is as follows:

DES MOINES, IA 05:00 AM (TRANSFER) JL 0806

(TRANSFER) - DES MOINES, IA 08:30 AM BTW 1206

I have several questions regarding my 3.5 hour layover in Des Moines...

1) Does the Greyhound terminal (I've only seen it on Google Street View), or either of the Jefferson Lines/Burlington Trailways buses have either WIFI or public power supply outlets available?

2) Given that it is an early morning layover, I'd wanna grab breakfast nearby. I've only seen a Git 'N' Go convenience store nearby on the map; not sure if it'll be open that early?

3) Any other amenities or advice I should know about the Greyhound Des Moines bus terminal?

*Given the choice, I'd much rather catch a later/daytime trip, but I have to get to Chicago on time to catch my connecting train (am afraid of potential severe weather travel delays).

Your advice is very much appreciated! Thank you!

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Des Moines
reviews: 26
1. Re: 3.5 hour transit at Greyhound (Des Moines)

Hi Edwin T!

I just saw on a Jefferson Lines web site that the buses have wifi. I recommend calling the Des Moines terminal to see if it does, too: (515) 243-1773.

I have the same recommendation to find out the hours at that particular Git & Go store, though most convenience stores around here are open at least by 6 a.m. (and many operate 24 x 7): (515) 281-0994.

As for guidance, if I had a 3 hour layover at that terminal on Jan. 1, I would bring something to eat with me and would not venture outside. (It is usually quite cold in early Jan., the Git & Go is across a large roadway, and the bus terminal is in a transitional area; I would stay in the terminal to stay warm.)

But perhaps others reading this forum will have suggestions for a nearby breakfast option for Edwin T...

USA
reviews: 199
2. Re: 3.5 hour transit at Greyhound (Des Moines)

My daughter has had power outlets and free wifi on Trailways buses on that route from Des Moines. The buses take a half hour break in Walcott, normally at the Arby's on the northwest corner of the I80 interchange across the street from the World's Largest Truck Stop. You might dash across the street if you are a fast eater and would prefer Wendy's, Taco Bell, or Dairy Queen.

Dublin, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
reviews: 81
3. Re: 3.5 hour transit at Greyhound (Des Moines)

If you do want to leave the terminal, Gateway Market is a 20 minute walk

https://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&q=Drake+Diner&fb=1&gl=us&hq=drake+diner&cid=989094806127816423&ei=hnWWUp6BM6eayQHouIGQDA&ved=0CI0BEPwSMAk

They open at 7am. They are not only a small upscale grocery but have a cafe. Here is the menu. Breakfast is listed after lunch & dinner so you have to scroll down.

www.gatewaymarket.com/2013-11_Cafe_Menu.pdf

I would contact them (Facebook, email or phone) and confirm their hours for New Year's Day.

Another option would be Blank Children's hospital they have a couple of cafeterias that are open nearly 24 hours.

http://www.blankchildrens.org/food.aspx

Boston...
4. Re: 3.5 hour transit at Greyhound (Des Moines)

Thank you everyone! Your advice is much appreciated :) Have a great Thanksgiving!

West Des Moines, IA
reviews: 177
5. Re: 3.5 hour transit at Greyhound (Des Moines)

The bus station isn't in the best area. I'd recommend bringing food and book or 2.

midwest
reviews: 27
6. Re: 3.5 hour transit at Greyhound (Des Moines)

I agree the bus station is not in a lovely area, but wouldn't hesitate to walk around between 5 and 8:30 am and particularly after the sun comes up. I second the recommendation for going over to the hospital. The cafeteria is decent and there are lots of cushy chair lounge areas on the ground floor to hang out in. Aim for the entrance to Blank Children's Hospital.

7. Re: 3.5 hour transit at Greyhound (Des Moines)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, December 15, 2014