We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Access from I 35 to anything good?

Which Des Moines hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Thunder Bay, Canada
reviews: 156
Access from I 35 to anything good?

I will be driving on I35 on route to Omaha, Nebraska, i see I 35 will be going through area of Des Moines, Iowa. I like to ask if there is a possible and easy access to state Capital Building off the Interstate? any easy exits etc? as no plans to stay in Iowa, but figure i like to stop somewhere on route to see something to say I was in Iowa? thanks

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Des Moines
reviews: 26
1. Re: Access from I 35 to anything good?

Hello, Worldtravellers!

When you get to Des Moines, if you take I-235 through downtown Des Moines you will get an excellent view of our state capitol from the road. The capitol complex is not far off the interstate, if you choose to stop for a close up view. I-235 can then take you west to I-80 for the last leg of your trip to Omaha.

A few alternative stops along I-35 or I-80 that you may want to consider are:

- If you are a music fan, you may want to stop in Clear Lake, IA to see the Buddy Holly crash site.

- If you like history, Living History Farms in Urbandale, IA is just off the interstate, next to the Machine Shed restaurant.

- If you are a baseball fan, the Bob Feller Museum in Van Meter, IA (just west of Des Moines) has some interesting memorabilia.

Best wishes for a safe and enjoyable trip!

Edited: 12:03 am, September 24, 2013
Thunder Bay, Canada
reviews: 156
2. Re: Access from I 35 to anything good?

Sounds interesting

USA
reviews: 199
3. Re: Access from I 35 to anything good?

Excellent suggestions from prairiedog. Depending on your interests:

I made a note to stop in at Music Man Square the next time I am near Mason City: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g38147-d26…

The Union Pacific Railroad Museum in Council Bluffs did not take long: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g37797-d15…

Winterset, IA is 15 miles south of I80. It is a nice little town with a courthouse square; John Wayne birthplace and statue; and a beautiful city park that holds one of the Bridges of Madison County. See as many other bridges as time allows.

West Des Moines...
reviews: 24
4. Re: Access from I 35 to anything good?

Downtown Des Moines, just minutes from the Capitol off I-235, is also the Principal Riverwalk area with a pedestrian bridge over the river. Not too far down the road is also the Pappajohn Sculpture Park with several interesting pieces.

Near the Capitol there are some shops and restaurants in an area called the historic East Village of downtown and out towards West Des Moines there is historic Valley Junction with many little shops to explore as well.

5. Re: Access from I 35 to anything good?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, September 27, 2014