We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sunday brunch/breakfast?

Which Des Moines hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oakland, nebraska
sunday brunch/breakfast?

It could be fancy or a hole in the wall type of joint. Anywhere in the city. Thanks..

11 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
reviews: 76
1. Re: sunday brunch/breakfast?

Places I have been that I recommend: Drake Diner, Django, Centro or Americana.

Place I want to try HoQ

Hope that helps!

West Des Moines...
reviews: 24
2. Re: sunday brunch/breakfast?

I have done Americana downtown (right across from the sculpture park) but after that, mostly chain restaurants do brunch like Granite City, Cheesecake Factory, Mimi's Cafe, etc. I mention these just in case you do not have them where you live. :-)

Drake Diner is always rated highly as is the Waveland Cafe. Don't want to forget a classic like the Iowa Machine Shed either.

A search online also brought out University Library Cafe and Gateway Market Cafe.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Des Moines
reviews: 26
3. Re: sunday brunch/breakfast?

A neighborhood cafe with good food (including homemade jams) is the Perked Up Cafe in Urbandale.

Iowa City, Iowa
reviews: 64
4. Re: sunday brunch/breakfast?

Love the Waveland Cafe! It's like an old fashioned diner with outstanding food.

Des Moines, Iowa
reviews: 21
5. Re: sunday brunch/breakfast?

I have been really wanting to try the Americana but haven't yet. the Machine Shed is good for good old down home cookin'.

We had brunch at Django a month ago and it was really good. Just a menu to order off of, so keep that in mind if you were wanting a buffet.

Ankeny, Iowa
reviews: 26
6. Re: sunday brunch/breakfast?

Definitely Iowa Machine Shed or Waveland Cafe, if you've never had either of them.

West Des Moines, IA
reviews: 177
7. Re: sunday brunch/breakfast?

I second Drake Diner and Woodland Cafe. There's also the diner at the Velley West Inn.

Iowa
reviews: 23
8. Re: sunday brunch/breakfast?

My vote for best DM bunch goes to the Trellis restaurant in the Botanic Garden. Quality instead of quantity. Instead of fried and greasy, this place serves fresh, crisp and delicious salads, pastas, soups, sandwiches and deserts that tickle the taste buds without stuffing the stomach. They create their own dishes based on what's in season and local, and those dishes are more inventive and satisfying than many high end places. Yet the price is about the same as a diner. Excellent service, yet casual. Don't miss their signature apple ginseng tea. In summer, sit by the lovely pool with waterfall and a beautiful view of Des Moines. The teak outdoor furniture looks nice but was a little uncomfortable, our only complaint for this unsung gem.

Edited: 10:51 am, September 29, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
reviews: 22
9. Re: sunday brunch/breakfast?

We like the Sunday brunch at Louie's Wine Dive and at Jethro's- any of the Jethro's locations. Also, surprisingly, the HyVee at 86th and Douglas in Urbandale has a great Sunday brunch (with buffet option) that is very good.

Spery, Iowa
reviews: 80
10. Re: sunday brunch/breakfast?

Our Sunday breakfast at the Drake Diner was excellent! Had a Drake Latte (?) and it was really good- I am not a coffee drinker, but went for the fun factor and enjoyed it.

Reply to: sunday brunch/breakfast?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted