We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch suggestions

Which Des Moines hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cape Coral, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
reviews: 10
Lunch suggestions

We're heading to Des Moines in a few weeks for the fair.

Hoping to find a great place for lunch on a Friday. What we're looking for is some really good ethnic food or a neighborhood/local place. I don't really care what kind of food, we like almost everything.

No franchises. Prefer neighborhood/local/'dive bar' type places.

Open to any and all suggestions. Last year we went to El Salvador del Mundo. Really enjoyed it. Other places we've been on other trips include Fat Tuesday and Scornovacca's.

Thanks in advance.

Urbandale, Iowa
reviews: 11
1. Re: Lunch suggestions

Lots of places in the east village or you could try the High Life Lounge just s south of downtown. Good cheap dive bar food

Apple Valley...
reviews: 24
2. Re: Lunch suggestions

Fong's is a unique choice as well. Chinese restaurant turned pizza place with crazy combos/toppings. Hole in the wall in downtown but a real Des Moines institution.

Flying Mango is popular as well.

Zombie Burger in the East Village but not really ethnic food...

Cape Coral, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
3. Re: Lunch suggestions

Thanks. I think Fong's will wait until my niece arrives, she loves the place, so it will be for dinner.

We've been to Flying Mango. Enjoyed it, but, looking for more of a 'hole in the wall place'.

Zombie Burger, quite frankly, sounds way too trendy. Or, am I mistaken?

USA
reviews: 236
4. Re: Lunch suggestions

Once I found the Royal Mile I quit looking. tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g37835-d41…

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Des Moines
reviews: 26
5. Re: Lunch suggestions

Zombie Burger is unique and the food is good, but it definitely is trendy and often very crowded.

Hoogo, the Royal Mile is a great suggestion, if British food appeals.

Several restaurants on the East side of Des Moines fit your description. All are fairly close to the fairgrounds. One is the Bianchi's Hilltop, which is a very popular "neighborhood" type bar/restaurant known best for its pizza. And though I've never been there, Los Laureles is said to have some of the best authentic Mexican food around. There also is Tortilleria Sonora on the north side of town.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Des Moines
reviews: 26
6. Re: Lunch suggestions

Jeanh, I just realized that Bianchi's Hilltop is only open for dinner.

Also, I have heard good reviews of Saigon Cafe in Clive.

And these are definitely not dives, but I'll post this for anyone reading this who is looking for a unique local lunch spot in the future: Gortz Haus Gallery (a restaurant/art gallery/florist/home interiors/jewelry store combination in an old church) in Grimes, Noodle Zoo, Latin King and Open Sesame in Des Moines.

Enjoy!

Dublin, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
reviews: 94
7. Re: Lunch suggestions

Here are a couple other suggestions-

New World Cafe, a new all vegan place. I am not vegan but I enjoyed it.

http://newworldcafedsm.com

Cafe Fuzion on 14th has a nice variety of Asian cuisine. It is also BYOB. They don't have a website.

Mi Patria Des Moines' only Ecuadorian restaurant definitely fits the bill and the food is delicious, I highly recommend the pork and the shrimp. The shrimp is the only spicy dish on the menu. http://www.mipatriaecuador.com

Cape Coral, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
8. Re: Lunch suggestions

Thanks everyone. We're frequent visitors to the Royal Mile, it's a great place.

We have a place close to here that is very similar to the High Life Lounge. Only, it isn't trying to be 'retro'. It's just small town Iowa....

I can't even drag my husband into a vegetarian place, let alone vegan. He's way too much of a carnivore.

I think the Ecuadorian place looks wonderful. We'll probably end up there.

Although, what's everyone's favorite Mexican place?

Dublin, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
reviews: 94
9. Re: Lunch suggestions

I have heard good things about Islas del Pacifico 1434 Des Moines St right in front of the Capitol. My favorite, El Chisme in Valley Junction sadly closed.

Cape Coral, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
10. Re: Lunch suggestions

Islas del Pacifico looks awesome. As does the Ecuadorian place. I guess we'll see what sounds better on the day. I'll put both addresses into the GPS......

Thanks again.