We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Des Moines Aiport Security Wait Time

Which Des Moines hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Iowa
reviews: 79
Des Moines Aiport Security Wait Time

Has anyone here in DM flown out of DMIA recently? We have a 6:20AM flight this Friday, Aug 24. We had planned to arrive at the airport at 5AM. Is that early enough.

thanks for your help.

Iowa
reviews: 32
1. Re: Des Moines Aiport Security Wait Time

Who are you flying with? Will you need to stand in line at the ticket counter or go straight to security?

If you plan to arrive the parking lot at 5am, then no it is not early enough. Will you be parking a car and waiting for the shuttle?

I like to walk in the doors 1 hour 45 minutes to 2 hours before scheduled flight. I dont like to hurry. But, I would never schedule a 6 am flight.

Remember, the doors to your aircraft may close 20 minutes before flight time.

You are wanting to allow 1 hour 20 minutes. I would recommend 1 hour 30 minutes minimum. That's being inside the airport.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Des Moines
reviews: 26
2. Re: Des Moines Aiport Security Wait Time

I fly frequently and find the airport to be busiest on those early morning flights. If you arrive at the terminal at 5 a.m. and give yourselves a full 1 hour and 20 mins. to check in, pass through security and be in the gate area 20+ mins. in advance of departure, you should be OK. However, if you're checking a lot of luggage or will be toting a lot of carry on items, you may want to give yourselves another 15 - 20 mins. of wiggle room.

Enjoy your travels!

Iowa
3. Re: Des Moines Aiport Security Wait Time

We are flying American Airlines and we are checking luggage plus 2 carryons, Also, we are being dropped off at the airport so we do not need to park our car. From what you both have said, I believe we will be IN the airport by 4:30 am.

I have heard and read about the long security lines during early morning, weekday flights, so better be safe than sorry. We are using frequent flyer miles so we were at their mercy on flight times.

Thanks to you both.

midwest
reviews: 26
4. Re: Des Moines Aiport Security Wait Time

I had a similar flight time this summer. I only had carry on, arrived 1 hour before the flight and barely made it. The line for checking bags is long and the line for security extends all the way down to the airline counters. I will admit that the security line moves pretty fast, but boy the tension is high among those in line! I endorse getting there early, but you might want to check to see if the airline counters are even open at 4:30 a.m.

Iowa
5. Re: Des Moines Aiport Security Wait Time

I read where the airline counters and security open at 4:15 We are planning to be IN the airport by 4:30 am

Thanks for all your help.

Dublin, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
reviews: 93
6. Re: Des Moines Aiport Security Wait Time

American does have a curbside luggage check outside that can speed things up.

7. Re: Des Moines Aiport Security Wait Time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, August 24, 2013