We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay

Which Indianapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
reviews: 59
Where to stay

Hi from England. We are 2 seniors planning our first trip over to Indianapolis and want to visit the Motor Speedway Hall of Fame Museum as well as Conner Prairie. We plan to hire a car and drive down from Dunlap, Illinois, to Memphis then on to Nashville and Indianapolis before returning to Dunlap. Can anyone please give us some advice on which area would be best for us to look for accommodation in Indianapolis, maybe suggest somewhere nice that is reasonably priced. We shall be staying two or three nights and if there is anywhere else we shouldn't miss seeing, we'd love to hear about it. Any help or advice will be appreciated.

louisville, ky
21. Re: Where to stay

p.s. I've been to Conner Prairie but I was younger and I can't remember a whole lot from it. I remember it being neat though. I would recommend if you are going to be going to Memphis etc., stop in southern Indiana and visit Marengo Cave (marengocave.com)-- At least check out their website. Northern Indiana is nice, but it's flat and has a lot of cornfields etc. If you take the time to stop somewhere in the southern part, southeastern especially, it is totally different. Very hilly, and pretty. That's where I grew up. People are way nicer than in northern Indiana too. Don't know why, but my family is from up their and people seem kind of cold. But, check it out. There is a lot to do down here. This is Historic Southern Indiana's wesbite. Check it out....http://www.usi.edu/hsi/about.asp There is a lot of stuff to do. Or Explore Southern Indiana http://www.exploresouthernindiana.com/

Indianapolis, IN
reviews: 2
22. Re: Where to stay

I agree with much of the advice in the previous posts, but would definitely advise you to stay downtown if your budget allows. Carmel and Fishers are very nice areas, but are essentially a series of strip malls and look just like countless other suburbs across America. On the other hand, downtown has great hotels and restaurants, cultural attractions, interesting monuments and architecture, as well as a bit of historic character. Conner Prarie is very unique and well worth a visit. I guess the Motor Speedway is something to see since that is what Indianapolis is known for, but I would not miss out on the Eiteljorg Museum, the Indiana State Museum, the White River State Park/Indianapolis Zoo, and the Indpls Art Museum. You may also enjoy walking along the canal downtown which is very nice in the summer months.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 28
23. Re: Where to stay

Hah! Northern Indiana people are cold? Northern Indiana is flat? Well, O.K. I'll have to give you that (there are a few hilly areas). But you're way off on the northern Indiana people are cold thing. We tend to retain the personalities of our farmer ancestors - exceptionally welcoming and friendly - north OR south.

Well, if you get too close to a southern Hoosier's still you could be met with something less than a warm reception. It's probably an unfair generalization to say that most southern Hoosiers have stills (or at least half of their teeth, or fly black flags emblazoned with the number 3 and the word "Dale" loving embroidered just below). But we seem to be passing out unfair generalizations rather liberally here ... Southern Indiana is very pretty, particularly the South Central and Southwest areas where the hills and forests can be quite lovely.

Really Eyepye-7, there is no civil war going on in Indiana at this time - feel free to come visit us.

Indiana
reviews: 1
24. Re: Where to stay

Being from England you may not be aware of Hampton Inns, but they are great! Free breakfast that includes hot food and cold. I have had an assortment of eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits and gravy, homemade waffles, fruit, yogurt, bagels, muffins, toast, pastry, etc. They always have juice, milk, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, too. The breakfast varies day to day, but is always good. These hotels are a little higher priced than the Choice Hotels which are very similiar, but usually without the whirlpool/hot tub. Choice hotels include Clarion, Comfort Inn, Comfort Suites, Sleep Inn, Mainstay Suites, and a few others. You also might try the Country Inn and Suites on Michigan Ave. It is a lot like choice and Hamptonn, also. www.hamptoninn.com or www.choicehotels.com will find you a nice selection of reasonably priced hotels. Downtown is nice, but expensive. My family and I love the Fisher, IN area. It is newer, with plenty of places to eat and is also close to I69 and 465 interchange making it easy to get around Indianapolis.

Ohio
reviews: 1
25. Re: Where to stay

We just returned from a great weekend in Indy. We stayed at the Westin downtown and had a great experience there. The "heavenly beds" are exactly that! Indescribable comfort, especially after walking all day. We had an awesome view of the State House, which is next to a Museum and the Canal walk. We were within a few blocks of so many things, we didnt have time to do them all. We booked our hotel on Priceline. Read on another website that the Westin is their only 5 star hotel in Indy, which proved to be true as several people in our party made their reservations the same way. We paid $65 per night! Check our other postings for more info.

Hope your trip is as enjoyable as ours. We cant wait for another long weekend to go back.

26. Re: Where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, August 31, 2009