We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Indy Suburbs - where to stay

Which Indianapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
StL
reviews: 33
Indy Suburbs - where to stay

Can you suggest a suburb or neighborhood of Indianapolis that has a lot of restaurants, shopping and theaters? We would like to avoid staying downtown, but want plenty of variety when it comes to things to do at night. I'm looking for a neighborhood comparable to The Legends or Zona Rosa in Kansas City, MO.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Fishers, Indiana
reviews: 77
1. Re: Indy Suburbs - where to stay

Most Indy people are going to recommend you stay downtown. I know nothing about the KC neighborhood you mention, but it seems the Keystone at The Crossing Area is going to have the best concentration of what you are looking for. Northside of Indy, south of the Keystone Avenue exit off I-465. Fashion Mall has upscale shopping, Castleton Square more of a standard mall. High concentration of restaurants and some movie theaters. Local restaurants around that general area include Harry & Izzy's (owned by the famous St. Elmo's from downtown Indy), Scotty's Brewhouse (sports bar type place originally from Bloomington), Puccini's Pizza (one of Indy's better pizzas - not saying much I know).

Many hotels up there - the area is, I believe, the second largest concentration of office buildings in the Indy area (behind only downtown). At worst it is a close third.

Others with a better familarity to KC, may have better choices for you.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
reviews: 21
2. Re: Indy Suburbs - where to stay

Unfortunately, what you've described is best found in downtown Indy; restaurants, shopping, theaters, bars, etc. ("nightlife") in close proximity to each other & hotels (at least in my opinion).

Since you've eliminated downtown, here's a few suggestions/observations:

1. While there are clusters of hotels & nightlife outside of downtown Indy, they don't always overlap like they do in downtown. Furthermore, with a few possible exceptions, even when they (hotel & nightlife) are fairly close, you're often talking about needing to drive to get to things rather than walking. To the extent you don't think this is an issue, then you'll be in better shape.

2. The first spots that come to me off the top of my head are Keystone at the Crossing. This is a shopping, restaurant (and general commercial) area sort of "anchored" at the Keystone Fashion Mall. This is located next to the intersection of Keystone and 86th Street (maybe 82nd, it swings south a little there and I'm not sure officially where the name changes). There's a handful of hotels in the area and one of them (the Sheraton) is actually connected to the mall.

3. North of this area is Carmel (pronounced like the candy not the city in California). They have semi-recently had a lot of improvements and created a sort of "art's district" (forget the formal name for it). Not really familiar with what they did in general (i.e. what's there in terms of nightlife), nor in regards to any hotels that might be near it (walkable), but I do know there are a fair number of hotels in the general Carmel area (running roughly north of I-465 from Meridian on the west to to I-69 on the east).

4. Beyond this I think the pickings get a little slim; at least as far as nightlife being close to hotels. Sure some hotels are near some restaurants or movie theaters, etc, but not the close proximity and/or critical mass the above two (or downtown) offer. I suppose I might say the College Park (or "Pyramids" area) would be a 3rd place that might qualify, but it has less to offer (both in quantity & quality and regarding both hotels & nightlife type stuff).

5. There is a fairly major entertainment/nightlife area called Broadripple that you might want to check out, but there aren't any hotels in the immediate area.

6. As I said there are hotel clusters all around, pretty much every interchange on I-465 has a few. Now the quality of these clusters can vary. Both in general (number of hotels, quality of individual hotels, etc.) and also regarding your specifics (things to do nearby as well as how easy driving to the things you want to do). A few will have a few things in walking distance, but these will be the exception rather than the norm. On this last point walking/driving; presuming you end up deciding you want to drive somewhere, then you get into the whole issue that *where* you want to go for the nightlife will feedback to determine which hotel cluster will be best from a location standpoint.

7. There is also an area that isn't "officially" downtown called "Fountain Square." It's having a lot of infrastructure improvements and seems to be an up & coming area. That said: a) while not downtown, it's sure close and a lot more "downtowny" than suburban; b) I believe there is only 1 hotel option there (a sort of large B&B/small boutique hotel type of place), and c) while it's got some nightlife (and appears to be good), the actual number of places in in each category is kind of low. So, while it's got all you're looking for, there aren't going to be a lot of options regarding any one aspect.

Anyway that's a rundown.

To recap: a) I'd start by looking at the Keystone Crossing & Carmel areas and see if their sort of what you're looking for. If their not or price isn't right, etc, then maybe look at College Park/Pyramids (although that's probably only going to help by being a little less expensive). If you still haven't found something you like, then I'd probably say step back and figure out *exactly* what you want to do (i.e. location for your nightlife) and then figure out a hotel cluster that will allow easy access for it.

Hope this helps,

hlo

Edited: 2:43 pm, August 29, 2013
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
3. Re: Indy Suburbs - where to stay

Oh yeah, I wanted to ask one question. Can you tell us why you've eliminated downtown as a possibility?

I ask this because there is the chance you're thinking it might be like the downtown of other cities (i.e. something you'd want to avoid). This is not the case in Indianapolis.

As pointed out by both responders, downtown is the area that meets your criteria without question (well, other than being downtown). Being aware of the usual large city disclaimers . . . it's safe, clean, walkable; has a large number of restaurants, bars, music venues, theaters and other entertainment options; has a fairly large number & variety of hotels (from more budget to plush), all within a reasonably compact area.

Not saying you're wrong to want to stay outside of downtown, just wanted to make sure you know that downtown Indy isn't like downtown <insert city with less than desirable downtown here>. (Don't want to insult anybody, but I think we can all come up with few downtowns that either empty out at night and/or you wouldn't want to spend more time in than you had to for a number of reasons.)

hlo

StL
4. Re: Indy Suburbs - where to stay

Thanks for your suggestions. I will look into all of them. We have stayed downtown in the past, and loved it. However, this year our convention is held the same weekend as the Broncos game and a few other larger conventions. We need a block of hotel rooms and the downtown hotels are already full. Downtown doesn't work for us this year. So thanks again for all the recommendations. I appreciate your help.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
5. Re: Indy Suburbs - where to stay

Roger, sounds like a good reason to avoid downtown this year.

Mainly wanted to make sure you weren't working on some kind of (erroneous) assumption about downtown Indy.

Good luck and let us know if you've got more questions, want clarification, etc,

hlo

StL
6. Re: Indy Suburbs - where to stay

Thanks!

Fishers, Indiana
reviews: 77
7. Re: Indy Suburbs - where to stay

I see that Zona Rosa looks like one of the new lifestyle developments. I am aware of three such lifestyle centers in the Indy area, although I am not sure any of them are the upscale level that is.

The most upscale is probably Clay Terrace, located in Carmel adjacent to Westfield. There is also a traditional strip center across the highway, Village Park Plaza. Be aware there is a tremendous amount of road construction going on in that area. US 31 is being converted from a four lane highway to a limited access freeway. No hotels on site or within walking distance, but several Carmel hotels further south on US 31 - higher end hotels included.

Hamilton Town Center is located in the Noblesville /. Fishers area at exit 210 off I-69. All you have here is the shopping center, one hotel (Cambria Suites) and Klipsch Music Center, which is the outdoor music venue for Indy. It is the farthest out of the thre - unless you can find an event at Klipsch that interests you, hard to see this working.

Metropolis is located in Plainfield, which is just west of the Indy Airport. I am least familar with this - I know there are hotels out there that serve the airport, although most likely the mid range hotels.

You can check out the websites for all 3 to see if anything jumps out at you.

Good luck with your planning.

Carmel, Indiana
reviews: 8
8. Re: Indy Suburbs - where to stay

I think you might enjoy Keystone at the Crossing the best and stay at the Sheraton. The reason I say that is because it is connected to The Fashion Mall and you can walk to so many restaurants/bars without having to drive. They are literally right there...no driving.

You will have to drive to a movie theatre, just a mile or so down the road. No entertainment theatres around there unfortunately.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
9. Re: Indy Suburbs - where to stay

Actually there is a movie theater in the Keystone Fashion mall. Specifically the Landmark Keystone Art, here's a link to a page that has what's showing & showtimes:

/www.landmarktheatres.com/Market/Indianapolis/Indianapolis_Frameset.htm

hlo

Carmel, Indiana
reviews: 8
10. Re: Indy Suburbs - where to stay

Oh yeah...I forgot about that! How did I forget that, i go there all the time, LOL!