We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe walking around from hotels?

Which Indianapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
reviews: 4
Safe walking around from hotels?

Wanted to get a sense of how safe downtown is, especially at night. Because of a lack of hotel availability, I will probably need to stay at one of the properties listed below. I'll need to walk back and forth between the hotel and a building that is near Morton's restaurant on S. Pennsylvania. Not sure if it's something I should be doing on foot when travelling alone for business.

I've lived in Chicago and traveled extensively overseas so I don't exactly scare easily in cities. Because I've never been to Indy, I just don't have a sense of the neighborhood and how deserted it can get. Any thoughts?

Courtyard Indianapolis at the Capitol

320 North Senate Avenue Indianapolis, IN 46204

Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal

350 W New York Street Indianapolis, IN 46202

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
reviews: 20
1. Re: Safe walking around from hotels?

With the usual caveats that: a) anything can happen to anyone, anywhere at anytime, and b) keep your "big city wits about you;" downtown Indianapolis is perfectly safe.

Unlike decades ago when I lived in Indianapolis and the downtown sidewalks were pretty much rolled up at 5:00 pm, the downtown has a good number of restaurants, bars, shopping, etc. that keeps things going and a pretty good number of people on the streets at night. Now once you start talking really late, I'd be *slightly* concerned, but generally speaking you'll find out & about after work, through the dinner hour, and into the later parts of the night.

The two hotels you're looking at are about 3/4 mile from Morton's in the NW downtown quadrant. I'd say this one has a little bit less foot traffic later at night than the area right around the Circle and to the south, but that's a gut feeling. It's probably only the last few blocks (around the Capital and the other state office buildings, etc) where I might expect the number of people to thin out. Now as I said this is a gut feeling, and it's based mainly on my memory that the areas right around the hotels have a lot of parking lots and office building (which don't generate a lot of foot traffic after 9-5). You'll probably get a better idea (even in daylight) as you see the area in person.

Lastly, you could always cab it. Some of the downtown hotels (closer to Morton's) will have a line of cabs even at night. I don't remember the details, but I believe there is a reasonably inexpensive flat fee for any cab ride within the "square mile" of downtown.

Hope this helps,

hlo

Indy
reviews: 21
2. Re: Safe walking around from hotels?

Agree with HLO's advice - I would expect less foot traffic in the NW quadrant later in the evening. Not exactly how late into the evening you are talking about, but it is now light out until 8 or so in the evening.

Indianapolis...
reviews: 56
3. Re: Safe walking around from hotels?

Cab it if after dark.

Indianapolis
reviews: 45
4. Re: Safe walking around from hotels?

I live just 2 miles from the center of downtown and have never really felt unsafe in the downtown area, especially right in the center of downtown, where you'll be staying.

Indianapolis, IN
reviews: 42
5. Re: Safe walking around from hotels?

I don't think that you'll feel unsafe in downtown Indy but I really wouldn't recommend that a woman walk alone at night in any city. The cab fare for the distance you'll be traveling will be nominal so I would just play it safe and take a cab. If you were walking with a group I wouldn't think twice about walking

Indianpolis
6. Re: Safe walking around from hotels?

i live downtown and walk a lot - daytime and night. i have always felt safe. never been concerned about my safety and my husband who travels a lot is fine with me walking downtown too. also a cab far is a $5 flat rate and .60 per passenger. that is a flat rate anywhere downtown. my husband and I periocially take a cab when weather is too cold or too wet and we think the fare is a bargain.

Edited: 5:26 pm, April 14, 2013
Ohio
reviews: 4
7. Re: Safe walking around from hotels?

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the insight! Looks like I now have a travel buddy, so that makes things even safer...

Indianapolis...
reviews: 11
8. Re: Safe walking around from hotels?

I've always felt pretty secure by myself downtown, although a year ago I would have stayed away from the canal area after dark due to several well-publicized crimes at that time in 2012 (search"Indianapolis downtown canal robbery"). The police and mayor were very concerned about it, so I think whatever was behind it may have been dealt with by now. If you hold to "safety in numbers", the biggest concentrations of people would be in the rectangle bounded by the streets two blocks from the circle on the west, north, and east (Capitol, New York, and Delaware) and to the south down to South St. Outside of that, Washington and Maryland streets to the west to the river have restaurants and hotels that have a lot of foot and vehicle traffic and Massachussetts Avenue from its start at New York and Delaware up to and a little beyond College Avenue has a good amount of traffic.

9. Re: Safe walking around from hotels?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, May 09, 2014