We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drury Inn or something else "near" fairgrounds

Which Indianapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indiana
reviews: 4
Drury Inn or something else "near" fairgrounds

Hi our kids have a volleyball tournament at the Fairgrounds (at the Blue Ribbon Pavilion, if that matters) April 20-21. I've studied through your advice posted here throughout the years and though most recommend staying downtown or near KATC, just about every hotel has either 1 king & a sofabed or 2 doubles - very hard to find 2 queens (our kids are old enough that it matters).

The only one I've found is Drury Inn on Shadeland. I'm guessing it's about 20min from the fairgrounds but can anyone tell me what area that's in, what it's around, etc.? Is it downtown or near KATC? If not, are there any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
reviews: 20
1. Re: Drury Inn or something else "near" fairgrounds

The Drury on north Shadeland isn't really in either of the areas you've mentioned (took me a moment to figure out what KATC was, never seen it abbreviated like that), but it is certainly closer to Keystone than downtown.

It's in an area called Castleton which has a large mall and a whole slew of surrounding strip malls. Not what I would consider very walkable (like downtown is), but there will certainly be tons of restaurants & shopping to choose from (skewed towards chains) reasonably close by. To get a feel for the immediate area, I suggest you use Google maps streetview and you can "walk" around the area to see what I'm talking about, what's nearby, etc. Plus this should increase the "warm, fuzzy" factor as you approach the hotel. Just remember that what you're seeing might be "stale;" things may have changed since the streetview was created.

I'd say 20 minutes or so sounds about right, maybe a little more/less depending on traffic. (Just checked on Google maps, they say it is ~7.5 miles & 12 minutes; that sounds a little fast to me, but I haven't driven it in years). The best thing is that it's basically a straight shot down "Bindford Blvd" which is a multi-lane divided NE to downtown area expressway type road. Almost an extension of I-69 into the near downtown. It's worth noting that as it nears the fairgrounds I think it officially changes to Fall Creek Parkway. Also, you should figure out exactly where you want to enter the fairgrounds, park, etc. I say this because it will change your "terminal directions" as it runs right along the east side of the fairgrounds and you may want to bail "early or late."

As my memory serves me this Drury does very well on the TA rankings & has good reviews. It is also worth noting that it probably has as good (maybe better) access to the fairgrounds than hotels at Keystone Crossing. (By virtue of being almost on top of the start of Bindford Blvd.)

Also, it is in a general area I was going to suggest you consider, the I-69/I-465 interchange. There are a slew of hotels along the first couple of exits as you move north of I-465 on I-69. Don't remember them all, know if any meet your bed requirements and overall the Drury would probably be my choice. This is mainly because the area it is in is more developed/more walkable (not saying that it's really walkable, but you'll have more things nearby than those at the I-69 exits). Also it would be one of the more southern of these hotels, meaning you'll save a few minutes off the drive time to/from the fairgrounds.

About the only other area you *might* want to look at (if for some reason you're not happy with the Drury) is the Carmel. This will be a little further, but might be more to your liking.

Hope this helps,

hlo

Indiana
2. Re: Drury Inn or something else "near" fairgrounds

Thank you so much for the great feedback, Hunt. It does sound like Drury is a good choice. I'd much rather experience downtown, with Keystone at the Crossing as a second choice (I actually saw KATC here, on old posts) but I need the kids to be comfy since they're playing both days and sofabeds aren't always the best. We'd only have after 4:00 one evening to do anything anyway, so perhaps location isn't of utmost importance.

Thanks!

Indianapolis...
reviews: 56
3. Re: Drury Inn or something else "near" fairgrounds

The area around the fairgrounds is not the safest neighborhood. Do not keep anything in view in the car or else it will most likely be broken into. Sorry I can't give you a specific reco for a hotel near the fairgrounds. For safety purposes I would stay up near KATC

Indiana
4. Re: Drury Inn or something else "near" fairgrounds

Indygirl - are you saying that you think the Drury Inn is also not in a safe place? Not as safe as the area around KATC? thanks

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
5. Re: Drury Inn or something else "near" fairgrounds

I don't think that's what she's saying (and I don't believe it is the case). I think she's saying don't stay near the fairgrounds. Don't even think that's a real option because I don't think there are any (or not many) hotels near it.

As far as I know there aren't any safety issues re: Drury and the area around it (and I think I would if it was). As an aside I would think that if there were any issues, you'd see them in the TA reviews for the hotel. (I often see safety concerns mentioned in reviews.)

As for the comment about not leaving anything in your car, I think that's just good, standard "big city crime" advice.

hlo

Lafayette, Indiana
reviews: 34
6. Re: Drury Inn or something else "near" fairgrounds

I'll agree with everyone I would not stay near the Fairgrounds. The down side to staying downtown would that theres no free parking. I would stay some were in Fishers, Castleton or even Carmel. Hotels in those areas have free parking wich will save you 30 bucks. If you do stay in Downtown Indy I like the Courtyard. Its just a block or two from a smaller parking lot were its 5 or 10 bucks for 24 hour parking. Its also very close to Victory Field and the Indians play at 1:35 on the 21st

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
7. Re: Drury Inn or something else "near" fairgrounds

Just a quick correction to the last response. There is one downtown hotel with free parking (the idea that everywhere else could run you ~$30/day in parking is accurate), but there is one with (limited?) free parking; it's the La Quinta.

Now, this hotel is kinda off by itself and isn't as central as the other downtown hotels (read not as good an area, not that it's really bad), I wouldn't call it unsafe, but you've got to walk a few blocks just to get near the things that are right outside of the other downtown hotels.

hlo

Indianapolis, IN
reviews: 42
8. Re: Drury Inn or something else "near" fairgrounds

The Drury Inn that you're looking at is in a safe area but it's probably not the most convenient to the fairgrounds and there isn't much to do around there other than just go back to the hotel.

I would suggest looking at the Residence Inn at KATC or some of the areas that have been suggested in the Castleton Area. These locations will put you in a better location to get to the fairgrounds and, honestly, there are better things nearby in order to keep your teens busy in your downtime.

If you decide to stay downtown you could try the Fairfield Inn and Suites. They have suites that have 2 queens and a sofa bed in them.

I;ve done a lot of traveling for my kids sports and I would not be happy with the location of the Drury Inn if the kids were playing at the fairgrounds it's just not close enough for my preference.

Edited: 11:34 am, April 08, 2013
Indianapolis...
reviews: 18
9. Re: Drury Inn or something else "near" fairgrounds

If you can come up with anything in the downtown area, you will be WAY happier than anything in the fairgrounds area. And, from downtown, you're only driving up to 38th street and then a few blocks east. It doesn't take very long to do, either way.

10. Re: Drury Inn or something else "near" fairgrounds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 14, 2014