We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2013 Indy 500 with kids

Which Indianapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Georgia
2013 Indy 500 with kids

Hello,

We are planning our summer trip up north and will pass by Indianapolis during the race weekend for Indy 500 so I thought it will be a great experience for our kids. But we are definitely a first timer for the race. I have a couple questions regarding the visit.

Our kids are 9 and 11 so they can walk around without complain.

My questions are:

1. If we buy the general admission tickets, will we be able to see the race? I think the seat will be a lawn seat, correct? Do they have big screen for us to watch?

2. Is there other activities on the race day for kids to enjoy?

3. I don't expect us to spend the whole day there. Depends on how hot and tire they will get. So when is a best time to go? At the beginning to experience the start or toward the end?

4. I'm thinking about purchasing parking ticket. Is it worth it? I have read a lot of suggestion of parking at other people lawn or around the track but being out of town I just don't want to risk getting lost on the busy day.

5. At this point, I haven't finalized where we want to stay yet. We want to save another day for visiting downtown and Children's museum. So where is the best general location to stay? We will be driving to Columbus, OH after Indianapolis. Would love a hotel under $100/night if possible. But after a quick search it looks more like $150 for that weekend.

Thank you!

Amy

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
reviews: 20
1. Re: 2013 Indy 500 with kids

Don't have time to give any specific answers (and won't be able to answer all your questions), but I will point out that the 500, and specifically getting to/from the track on race day, is a semi-frequent topic on this forum. I suggest you use the search function with "500" and/or "speedway" or something like that. You'll see a fair number of threads that could answer many of your questions.

Regarding a hotel. This is a prime example of supply & demand and prices will be through the roof, minimum stays required, and basically every hotel room in Indy booked with spillover into surrounding cities/towns. It will probably be less finding a "best" location as simply finding something in your budget (or if you wait too long at all). I would not wait to get something booked, otherwise you may find yourself driving an hour or more *just* to get to Indy (much less to the track).

Realize there isn't a lot of actual information, but I hope it helps. I will try to post more in the next day or two and/or feel pretty sure a local will chime in.

hlo

Indianapolis...
reviews: 56
2. Re: 2013 Indy 500 with kids

Welcome to the Indy forums. Tons of info in previous threads you'll want to check out.

1. Most all the seats have a good view. Do research on here on the forum for threads about good seat locations. We usually get seats in the North West or North East vista. Good to see them coming and going past. If you get tix in the paddock area you don't get to see as much of the track. You can also arrive very early about 4-5 am and wait to drive in and park in the infield the most economical tix but lest view. Yes there are huge jumbotrons to view the race.

2. Tons of stuff for the kids. Walk around and Georgtown st. prior to the race. Inside the gates their are games trivia stuff set up by different sponsors. There is the museum as well.

3. I would consider staying for the whole race you guys are from Georgia and probably use to hotter weather then ours. Just drink lots of water and use sunscreen. If you must only go for only a part go for the first part. Then you get to experiance all of the pre race festivities.

4. We like to park near the track in a private yard. If you do this make sure that you are not blocked in and can leave at any time.

5.Check into hotels in Brownsburg & Plainfield also.

No package liquor sales on Sunday in IN., ice can be hard to find near track purchase near your hotel. Track very picky about size of cooler you can bring in check they website......I think limit is 18 inches. If in town on Friday take in Carb day it's is very fun .

Plainfield, Indiana
3. Re: 2013 Indy 500 with kids

I agree with other posters who told you to stay for the first part of the race if you don't want to stay for the entire thing. Also, Plainfield and Brownsburg are safe, inexpensive places to find hotels that are close to the interstate and Speedway.

I noticed that you are bringing children and sitting in the Infield/lawn. The infield can get a little crazy and is basically a big party with lots of drinking. I just thought you might want to be aware of this. There is a jumbo screen and you can also find seats near the track where you will be able to see the cars up close. We bring chairs and blankets/sheets for seating. The blankets can be used to mark your "territory" as good seating areas can get really crowded. You may also want to pack a cooler and bring food or snacks. The concession lines can be long and the food can get expensive.

I hope this helps!

Albia, Iowa
4. Re: 2013 Indy 500 with kids

I had no problem booking a hotel last week. Only 15 minutes away (without traffic) from the track.

Edited: 7:57 pm, May 23, 2013
5. Re: 2013 Indy 500 with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, May 25, 2014