We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day in Indianapolis

Which Indianapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Day in Indianapolis

I will be taking a date to an event in Indianapolis in a few weeks. I've picked out a restaurant, and so everything is set from about 5 pm until the end of the night. The trouble is that I can't seem to find anything to do during the afternoon. I would like to spend most of the day with my date in Indianapolis, if possible. If I was in Boston, I'd walk the freedom trail, get lunch at Quincy Market, check out the USS Constitution... If I was in Chicago I'd take her to the museum of science and industry, or the aquarium... I just can't seem to figure out the best way to spend an afternoon in Indianapolis. The zoo sounds great, but it's closed for the winter. I realize that it is a smaller city, but I'm sure there are still some great ways to spend a day that I'm just not finding. Any help would be much appreciated!

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
reviews: 21
1. Re: Day in Indianapolis

I curious about your posting as you've got some "bad" information in it and it is essentially a cut & paste of your Fort Wayne thread. Are you really doing a basically identical day trip/date in both places?

As for the bad information:

1. I don't think I'd call Indianapolis a "smaller city." It's the 12th largest city in the US by population; so it's smaller than 11 other cities, but I wouldn't call that "small." By population it's comparable to Jacksonville, Austin and San Francisco and larger than Columbus, OH and Fort Worth, TX; hardly "smaller cities."

2. The Indy Zoo *doesn't* close for the winter. They have shorter hours and I'm pretty sure there isn't as much to see/do as during the summer, but it's not closed.

Beyond that have you reviewed the forum for ideas of things to do or done *any* research to figure out what there is to see/do in Indy?

hlo

Edited: 10:08 am, January 22, 2013
Fort Wayne, Indiana
reviews: 50
2. Re: Day in Indianapolis

Did I just waste my time answering this same post on FW thread. Oh well. Indy has tons of options, lots of micro breweries, museum or art is cool, new day meadery is nice to check out if you're in fountain square area as well as duckpin bowling. Mass Ave area is a fun place to eat and shop. Or check out Rathskellers or Slippery Noodle.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
reviews: 21
3. Re: Day in Indianapolis

Only time will tell Missy.

Can you see why I found these postings a little odd?

hlo

Fort Wayne, Indiana
reviews: 50
4. Re: Day in Indianapolis

It's very odd...plus it's not easy coming up with things to do during the day in Fort Wayne period. Ha!

Chula Vista...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 102
5. Re: Day in Indianapolis

Hi,

The Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art was one of my favorites, as well as the Indianapolis Museum of Art (free admission).

http://www.eiteljorg.org/

http://www.imamuseum.org/

There's also the White River State Park with the NCAA Hall of Champions (if you're both into sports) and the Canal Walk (might be too cold this time of year for that).

http://inwhiteriver.wrsp.in.gov/

Chicago, Illinois
6. Re: Day in Indianapolis

Thanks for all of the help! I actually have planned trips for both Indy and Fort Wayne. I can't decide which one to go with. Huntlawoffice, I actually have done a lot of research on the options in Ft Wayne, but not as much on what is available to do in Indy.

I'm sorry I misspoke! I didn't mean to insult Indianpolis.

Thanks again!

Kokomo, Indiana
reviews: 40
7. Re: Day in Indianapolis

How old are you? What do you like to do? Can you narrow it down to a weekend?

Indianapolis...
reviews: 56
8. Re: Day in Indianapolis

Since you like walking trails there is the canal area to walk and view the memorial.

indianapolis
Destination Expert
for Indianapolis
reviews: 123
9. Re: Day in Indianapolis

Indianapolis Motor Speedway museum. NCAA Hall of Champions. Indiana State Museum. Comparable to Field Museum in Chicago. Indy Zoo. Has cool dolphin exhibit. Indy museum of Art.

Mitcham, Australia
reviews: 61
10. Re: Day in Indianapolis

I might be a little odd but in the same situation (a little time to spare) I like to take a ride on a local bus to see a bit of the city concerned. I've done it in cities all around the world and apart from sometimes ending up or passing through a downmarket area it gives the opportunity to see parts of the city possibly not often seen by other tourists.

In 2000, I had an early dinner at a traditional diner in the suburbs of Indianapolis. I can't remember the name or exact location but it may still be there. A real experience!

Paul in Australia.