We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birthday Weekend

Which Indianapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Albany, Indiana
reviews: 3
Birthday Weekend

I am planning on visiting Indianapolis for my birthday weekend (May 5th). I made reservations for The Canterbury Hotel, dinner at St. Elmo and theater ticket for Indiana Repertory Theater production of A Midsummer Night's Dream. I plan on visiting the art museum as well. I will be turning a very young 50 and am traveling alone. What else can I do and have I made good choices so far? I will be driving my own car. Thanks!

Indianapolis...
reviews: 14
1. Re: Birthday Weekend

Great choices so far. The Indianapolis Mini Marathon is Saturday May 4th. The race has over 35k participants and is one of the largest half-marathons in the world. The start and finish lines are an easy walk from your hotel room so I'd be sure to check that out on Saturday morning.

Massachussets Avenue is the trendy restaraunt street in Downtown Indianapolis. Its worth a stroll and to take in a light lunch.

I really like the Rathskeller restaraunt during warmer months when the Biergarten is open. It the old german-american club and is a cool place to hang out that has an older more ecclectic crowd. Lots of fun if there is a band playing.

The town of Zionsville which is about 25 miles northwest of the city has a picturesque small town Indiana setting complete with a brick street. Lots of antique stores and the like.

Have fun.

Chula Vista...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 102
2. Re: Birthday Weekend

Hi,

One other place I recommend you check out is the Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art:

http://www.eiteljorg.org/

I agree with the suggestion to stroll Mass Ave. Bazbeaux Pizza has an ecclectic vibe to it and some really good and different pizzas.

http://www.bazbeaux.com/

New Albany, Indiana
3. Re: Birthday Weekend

Thanks for the responses...glad to know I'm on the right track! I had been looking at the Rathskeller as someplace to check out. I didn't know I was going to be there on an "event" weekend...glad I made my reservations early. I haven't checked yet, but do you know if there is any kind of food walking tour for Indianapolis? I often do those in cities I visit. I loved the one in Seattle..

New Albany, Indiana
4. Re: Birthday Weekend

I've answered my own question...I see there is a food tour but I was looking for one on Sunday...I've boxed myself in with St. Elmo on Sat. and the theater ticket on Sun.......ah well...:)

Indianapolis...
reviews: 56
5. Re: Birthday Weekend

Assum great choices. We did Canteberry and St. Elmos for our 10th anniversary.

Might want to check out city market it as it has several food vendors under 1 roof. Usual fair with few different ones thrown in. If you have time maybe consider going up to Eagles Nest @Hyatt for a cocktail for the view.

Indianapolis...
reviews: 6
6. Re: Birthday Weekend

Indianapolis Museum of Art is not far and has awesome gardens and places to wander, not sure when it starts but they also show out movies. fountain square is a few blocks south of downtown and has a rooftop garden restaurant that is cute and you can see the skyline.

Indianapolis...
reviews: 6
7. Re: Birthday Weekend

Indianapolis Museum of Art is not far and has awesome gardens and places to wander, not sure when it starts but they also show out movies. fountain square is a few blocks south of downtown and has a rooftop garden restaurant that is cute and you can see the skyline.

New Albany, Indiana
8. Re: Birthday Weekend

My birthday is nearly here and I'm looking forward to my trip! I have another question....I have a ticket to the Indiana Repertory Theater on May 5th, the show starts at 7:00pm. I had booked dinner at Turner's that night since I am already staying at The Canterbury Hotel. I am thinking I'd like to try somewhere else. I am having dinner at St. Elmo the night before. Can anyone recommend a good restaurant that I could get in and out of and get to the theater by 6:45? I will probably want to cab it. Thanks so much!

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
reviews: 21
9. Re: Birthday Weekend

Can you give us anything more about what kind of dinner you're looking for? There are hundreds(?) of restaurants in downtown Indy, and certainly dozens that are within a few minute's walk of the IRT.

Are their cuisines you like/don't like, budget, ambiance, etc. that you'd prefer (other than wanting to get finished in enough time for your show); similarly, there is anything (beyond the restaurant's hours) that would limit how early you could go to dinner?

My suggestion would be to figure out something fairly close to the IRT and go early enough that you'll have an hour/hour & a half to eat (say 5:15-5:30), then walk rather than fussing with a cab. For many places you'll be able to walk as quick as you could get a cab, drive, pay your fare, etc.

That's my $.02,

hlo

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
reviews: 21
10. Re: Birthday Weekend

Oh yeah, don't have time right now, but will try to make a few specific suggestions in the next few days (hopefully after hearing things you like/don't like, etc.).

hlo