We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Indy to South Bend- I65 to 20/80 or HWY31 AND!

Which Indianapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans Lousiana
Driving from Indy to South Bend- I65 to 20/80 or HWY31 AND!

My second driving question: Please help me on the question bellow this post also

OK If you are going to South Bend from Indy Do you prefer the I65 to Gary and then cut over to 30/80 or just go Hwy 31 the whole way?

Matt

Indianapolis
reviews: 98
1. Re: Driving from Indy to South Bend- I65 to 20/80 or HWY31 AND!

I admit I have never timed the two, but I think I would just take 31. There are a number of stops along the way and the speed limit is lower than 65 but it's a straight shot and it's a double lane highway. I can tell you that the 65 route from Indy and then east on 94 to Michigan City is about 2+ hours. And I drive pretty fast. I'm guessing South Bend would be maybe another 30 minutes from there, maybe a little less. Plus, you'd have to take the toll road (I90).

On a few occasions, I have been trapped in traffic jams 5 miles long in rural parts of I65 with no chance to get off and go around. You avoid that problem with 31 since you can exit at many different points.

Indianapolis
reviews: 98
2. Re: Driving from Indy to South Bend- I65 to 20/80 or HWY31 AND!

I should clarify that you'd have to take I90 toll road to South Bend if you wanted to go interstate all the way. If you didn't want to take the toll road, there would probably be little point in taking the I65 route at all.

New Orleans Lousiana
3. Re: Driving from Indy to South Bend- I65 to 20/80 or HWY31 AND!

We are going to St. Joe in MI about 30 miles from South Bend so I picked that City to go off of.

Matt

noblesville, Indiana
reviews: 21
4. Re: Driving from Indy to South Bend- I65 to 20/80 or HWY31 AND!

We travel to SW Michigan each summer & take 31 with no problems. You'll have a little traffic going through Kokomo, but that's it. There's an outer loop around South Bend (west 20/31 to 31) that makes it pretty easy. Make sure & stop at one of the produce stands between South Bend & Saint Jo for great fruit in the summer.

SB2

Indianapolis...
reviews: 54
5. Re: Driving from Indy to South Bend- I65 to 20/80 or HWY31 AND!

Taken both routes to St. Joe. US 31 is the way to go and take the bypass around South Bend.

Indiana
reviews: 26
6. Re: Driving from Indy to South Bend- I65 to 20/80 or HWY31 AND!

I would take I69 North to Fort Wayne and then take US 30 West to US 31 North to South Bend. Time wise you are looking at 3.5 hours. It is 1.5 hours from Columbia City, IN to South Bend by way of US30 to US 31. From Col.ity to Indy is 2 hours. I travel the route to South Bend several times a year. Roads are good and not crowded, either.

Indianapolis...
reviews: 69
7. Re: Driving from Indy to South Bend- I65 to 20/80 or HWY31 AND!

Take 31 North the whole way. I drive up to South Bend many times a year to visit family and I always take 31 North.

Currently 65 North has a backup because of construction that takes about 30- 45 mins to get through so it deffinatly slows you down going up on 65North.

8. Re: Driving from Indy to South Bend- I65 to 20/80 or HWY31 AND!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 06, 2010