We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

downtown night photography

Which Evansville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis...
reviews: 51
downtown night photography

I'm coming in this week to take photos downtown/riverfront between sunset and about midnight. How safe is the downtown area at night? Obviously don't expect to wander into any neighborhoods, mainly around the river front hoping to get some good cityscape-type shots. Also is there access across the river to the south to get a good skyline view of the city? Thanks!

2 replies to this topic
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
reviews: 21
1. Re: downtown night photography

Sorry to be posting so "late" in terms of your question & timeframe.

I can't give any specific advice, but do have an idea/suggestion. Try using Google Street View.

This certainly should be able to give you some ideas of skyline views (and perhaps from across the river). Similarly, it can give you some idea of the "flavor" of neighborhoods. I use it for that purpose often when traveling. I generally check out the surrounding blocks of hotels I'm considering to get a feel for the neighborhood in general, see wants nearby, how walkable the area is etc.

Hope this helps,

hlo

P.S. Giving a little more time for responses, particularly on low traffic forums like this one, is generally a good idea. Also, weekend days usually don't get the number of responses that weekdays get.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
reviews: 98
2. Re: downtown night photography

Not sure how much you've explored Evansville in the past, but there's a gorgeous neighborhood just south of Downtown, the Riverside District, which features huge old, mostly Italianate, homes and brick streets lined with huge trees. One of my favorite neighborhoods in the state. The way it's laid out, it gets great afternoon light as well.

Evansville's position on the river is at a roughly 130-degree bend, so you can get good views of Downtown on the other side of that bend, just outside Downtown. The Kentucky side of the river, just across from Downtown, is farmland and difficult to access. I haven't been over there, but I wouldn't try to make the trek just to get a snapshot of Downtown, personally.

Downtown Evansville at night is a little sparse, but there will be people and activity by the river, even after sunset. Off the river is not a particularly dangerous area, but there are very few people at night around so it feels uneasy.

Reply to: downtown night photography
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted