We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tobe's Restaurant

Which Cedar Lake hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mesa, AZ
reviews: 23
Tobe's Restaurant

Whatever happened to Tobe's? He had two locations....one on the east side of the lake and one on the north side. I know he sold the north side location before I moved to Arizona nearly 14 years ago, but both locations still had great steaks. I'm thinking of driving back to the area next month and was wondering what's the current status of these two restaurants.

4 replies to this topic
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
reviews: 21
1. Re: Tobe's Restaurant

Urbanspoon (my restaurant website of choice) shows a Tobe's in the southern part of the east side of Cedar Lake as permanently closed.

It does show another Tobe's in the same general area, but it's a pizza & wings place not a steakhouse and not right on Cedar Lake.

That's about all I can tell you. Cross your fingers, maybe a local will chime in with some actual history/knowledge.

Good luck,

hlo

Cedar Lake, Indiana
2. Re: Tobe's Restaurant

The resturant closed many years ago when a land developer purchased the resturant and surrounding land to build the Lighthouse Restruant.

There was only one original Tobe's Resturant which was on Constitution/138th Ave which was opened by James "Tobe" Spindler after his passing it was run another 38 years by his daughter Norma and husband Fred "Fritz" until they sold out to another owner. The last owner also purchased Bill's Tavern on 133rd across from the Eagles and called this Tobe's II (which is since been sold and converted to another resturant/bar)

Would love to find people with old pictures of the original. It would be greatly appreciated.

Cedar Lake, Indiana
3. Re: Tobe's Restaurant

The resturant closed many years ago when a land developer purchased the resturant and surrounding land to build the Lighthouse Restruant.

There was only one original Tobe's Resturant which was on Constitution/138th Ave which was opened by James "Tobe" Spindler after his passing it was run another 38 years by his daughter Norma and husband Fred "Fritz" until they sold out to another owner. The last owner also purchased Bill's Tavern on 133rd across from the Eagles and called this Tobe's II (which is since been sold and converted to another resturant/bar)

Would love to find people with old pictures of the original. It would be greatly appreciated.

Mesa, AZ
reviews: 23
4. Re: Tobe's Restaurant

The guy I remember has being the owner of Tobes and Tobes II was a kinda chubby guy in his 30's or maybe early 40's who was a beer truck driver in the Chicago area when he wasn't at his restaurants. I had a very brief chat with him one time when I asked him if he would be interested in opening a "Tobes III" where Roosevelt's was located in Kouts. I offered to be a partner and run that place for him. He said he wanted less places not more, as he was burnt out from all the work involved running the restaurants. Shortly thereafter he sold Tobes ll, but the new owner still had nearly the same quality steaks as the original Tobe's. I can still taste that 40 oz. tenderloin! Yum!! I would eat about half for dinner and take the rest home for steak and eggs. Shortly after that I moved to AZ in the fall of '99. Those were the good old days!

Reply to: Tobe's Restaurant
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cedar Lake
Recent Conversations