We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help plan my itinerary. Reykjavík to Vik and more.

Peterborough
reviews: 1
Please help plan my itinerary. Reykjavík to Vik and more.

I will be travelling to Iceland for a 5 day trip 11th Feb to 15th Feb. I was wondering if anybody could give me some pointers on if there may be any oversight in my plans.

I'm a keen photographer so I'm very interested in sights that make great photos.

Tues 1600: Fly in and pick up 4x4. Drive to Reykjavík. Stay overnight.

Could we get a northern light tour? How late do they keep you up until?

Wednesday: Reykjavík to Vik

I'd like to take in a picturesque route to Vyk where we have a hotel booked for the evening. Could we do the golden circle tour and still arrive in Vyk without too much driving in the dark?

Thursday: Drive from Vyk to visit the glacier lagoon and maybe something else before returning to Vyk to stay overnight.

Friday: I'd like to visit the black sand beaches in the Vyk area. Also take in the crashed aircraft. What else in the area would make a cool photo stop? We will also need to drive back to Reykjavík on this day so that needs taking into account.

Saturday: Leave Reykjavík at 1600 to fly home.

Also what kind of daytime temperatures are we looking at this time of year? I'd be eternally grateful for any advice from anybody that is knowledgeable in this area of Iceland.

Hampshire, UK
reviews: 73
1. Re: Please help plan my itinerary. Reykjavík to Vik and more.

On the way to Vik you would certainly have time to do the golden circle and the lovely waterfalls further along route 1 including Seljandsfoss and Skogafoss.

The next day you could visit Svartifoss on the way to Jokulsarlon, take the road through the campsite to miss half the walk to save time and be able to return to Vik.

I believe the crashed plane is down an unpaved road so unlikely to be passable in Feb.

Have a look at www.timeanddate.com for daylight hours and google for temperatures but it will be cold!

Hafnarfjordur...
reviews: 46
2. Re: Please help plan my itinerary. Reykjavík to Vik and more.

Hi Cashman!

What kind of a landscape photographer are you? Are you a Lee-filter guy?

Apart from what has been mentioned, there's a place by Vík that I'd like to recommend to you, for accommodations, photography-wise. It's called Garðar, and they have summer cottages to rent. Also in winter.

The place is here:

ja.is/kort/…

And here's the thing...

http://www.reynisfjara-guesthouses.com/

If you go there (you will...), for the life of me, be careful with that ocean. It is a particularly dangerous beach, and has already taken the lives of some travelers. It has a very strong tow, and if you're not distant, a bigger wave that you don't expect can reach you, further out than you think, and pull you in. Serious!

Edited: 7:51 pm, January 13, 2014
Peterborough
reviews: 1
3. Re: Please help plan my itinerary. Reykjavík to Vik and more.

That wall is on my Friday 'to do' list. My main concern after the original reply is if I can easily get to the crashed plane. Everything I have seen or read so far has told me it should be a simple drive from a gate on the road to the north. We will have a large 4x4 so I'd like a little more advice on this from somebody who has done it. Is the black sand around it hard to drive on? Is it going to be covered in snow or something?

Lebanon
reviews: 42
4. Re: Please help plan my itinerary. Reykjavík to Vik and more.

Hey Cashman! Just did it 4 days ago. I was as worried as you... People said i should try it and others said it was a bad idea. I just needed to take pictures of it so I decided to give it a shot. I rented a jeep wrangler and drove on the road to Vik. I had memorized exactly where to get off the road and found the gate through the field. If you follow the right directions you will get there with no problems. There was no ice 4 days ago. and there were faint tire tracks that i followed. The scary part is that you dont see it until you are very close to it, so the way there is like a leap of faith! There are 2 waterfalls that are nice to see on the way there, and then there are the basalt columns after the plane on the road to Vik. All in all plenty of photo opportunities. Let me know if you need more info and I'll try and take you through it step by step.

5. Re: Please help plan my itinerary. Reykjavík to Vik and more.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 16, 2015
Get answers to your questions about South Region