We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interstate 90 travel conditions between Chicago and Rockford

Which Rockford hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South Beach, Miami...
reviews: 32
Interstate 90 travel conditions between Chicago and Rockford

We are westbound from South Haven, Michigan, to Rockford, Illinois, on Wednesday, July 10. We have heard about construction delays on I-90. Is I-88/I 39 a useful alternative?

15 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 74
1. Re: Interstate 90 travel conditions between Chicago and Rockford

Yes, it is under major construction and yes, that's not a terrible alternate. Does not really save time as it is longer, but is more pleasant to avoid the construction zone.

chicago
reviews: 18
2. Re: Interstate 90 travel conditions between Chicago and Rockford

Its 40 straight miles of two small lanes, its MISERABLE

South Beach, Miami...
3. Re: Interstate 90 travel conditions between Chicago and Rockford

Thanks.

chicago
4. Re: Interstate 90 travel conditions between Chicago and Rockford

@wes- im not familiar with 88/39, do you think i should do it from downtown instead of 90? i want to be in rockford/cherry valley monday at 10am

Chicago, Illinois
5. Re: Interstate 90 travel conditions between Chicago and Rockford

I actually don't think it'll save that much time to use 88/39. From downtown, 88/39 has got to be a good 20 miles longer because 90 slants in the right direction. It's just a more pleasant drive since the construction zone is a mess. Strictly from a time standpoint, I'd take whichever is easiest based on your starting point. If you're near 90, take 90. If you're near the Eisenhower, take 290/88/39.

88/39 to me is also less risky because every once in a while you can get a problem in the construction zone that really slows things down. Less chance of that on 88/39.

chicago
6. Re: Interstate 90 travel conditions between Chicago and Rockford

thanks, google has 88/39 as 102 miles and 92 minutes, 90 is 77 miles and 79 minutes

25 miles is a lot more but i really HATED every single one of the 40 miles of construction and there was no stop and go traffic just stressful driving

i guess ill suck it up and take 90, but at least i know if the travel times are higher i have an alternate on 88/39

Chicago, Illinois
7. Re: Interstate 90 travel conditions between Chicago and Rockford

That sums it up. It moves through the construction zone but is pretty packed.

South Beach, Miami...
8. Re: Interstate 90 travel conditions between Chicago and Rockford

Thanks.

South Beach, Miami...
9. Re: Interstate 90 travel conditions between Chicago and Rockford

Thanks.

We ended up taking 94/80/355/88/39. WE bailed on I-88 to take Illinois 64 since we wanted to see some local color and without a I-pass I-88 was a pain.

Passed a wonderful Deco armory in Sycamore. Made our day.

Chicago, Illinois
10. Re: Interstate 90 travel conditions between Chicago and Rockford

Glad it worked out. You raise a good point. I88 and I90 are both toll roads so are easier with an I pass. What a lot of people do not realize is you can pay the tolls online so I believe you can actually go through the ipass lanes without one as long as you go online to pay the tolls within a few days.

Il64 makes a nice ride, too. have not done it for many years now, but you do get to see the cornfields and some small towns.

Reply to: Interstate 90 travel conditions between Chicago and Rockford
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted