We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Route from MI to Rockford.

Which Rockford hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Best Route from MI to Rockford.

I'm heading to Rockford in the morning from Detroit. I'll probably be hitting Chicago about noon. What's the best route to avoid traffic and constructiin ?

6 replies to this topic
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 66
1. Re: Best Route from MI to Rockford.

Around noon in Chicago shouldn't be too bad.

94 to 90. 90 through downtown and out towards O'Hare & Rockford. There is some construction on 90. 90 past O'hare is also a tollway.

You can bypass Chicago completely by taking 294 just west of the IN/IL border. You can take 294 and pick up 90 towards Rockford near O'hare. However, you'll need to pay tolls along 294. Assuming you don't have an I-Pass, cash fares can get to be expensive. You can calculate the tolls here - illinoistollway.com/tolls-and-i-pass/toll-in…

You can play with different routing options using https://maps.google.com/

On your way in you can get traffic reports every 10 minutes on the radio at AM 780.

Illinois
reviews: 54
2. Re: Best Route from MI to Rockford.

If it were me, I would take 80 west to 355 north to 88 west to 39 north. According to Google maps, this is a little longer than going through Chicago. Whenever I take the Dan Ryan Expressway (90/94), it always seems to be congested. The Dan Ryan does give you some beautiful views of the city though.

Chicago
reviews: 171
3. Re: Best Route from MI to Rockford.

listen to AM 780 (or 105.9 FM) for traffic updates well before you enter the chicago metro area... you can make a decision as you get closer... if the bishop ford--->dan ryan--->kennedy---->NW tollway are reasonably clear, i'd say go for it... you'll avoid many tolls, except for the NW tollway... if you go I-294 (tri-state tollway), you'll get hit pretty hard with tolls, as you will also on the I-88 tollway....

be advised, out of staters, without an I-pass transponder, pay twice what we pay with a transponder.... so, hopefully traffic will cooperate for you.....

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
4. Re: Best Route from MI to Rockford.

Its a work trip, so I'm not too worried about tolls since they pay. My GPS has traffic info, so I may just let it decide. Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 88
5. Re: Best Route from MI to Rockford.

At noon: charge right through the gauntlet. Take 90 through the city.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
6. Re: Best Route from MI to Rockford.

I took I-90. It was rather uneventful, other than the constant orange barrels and 45 MPH procession of semis west of the city. I forgot how many toll booths you have to go through also - what a pain. Might try an alternate route home, just for variety.

Reply to: Best Route from MI to Rockford.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rockford
More Rockford Topics