We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Day in Rockford - how much is achievable?

Which Rockford hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
848 posts
368 reviews
A Day in Rockford - how much is achievable?

My husband and I will be in Joliet over the weekend (for the Nascar race on Sunday and we have a free day on Saturday. We had initially thought we would head into Chicago on Saturday for a day's sightseeing as we haven't visited for a while however I've been looking at spending the day in Rockford as I think it looks very interesting.

I noticed that the Rockford Art Museum has a Greenwich Village Fair on Saturday so was intereted in that and then I saw the schedule for the Riverboat and liked that idea too.

I have a few questions - could we realistically go to the Art Fair and then have a Riverboat cruise later in the day?

Do we need to book the Riverboat Cruise in advance?

What else could we manage without rushing things?

We like most activities - outdoors, scenic sites, walks and nature, historic areas.

We also like good food - where would be a good place to eat in the evening?

Sorry for what appear to be fairly random questions at the last minute!

Edited: 6:53 am, September 11, 2012
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
35,803 posts
67 reviews
1. Re: A Day in Rockford - how much is achievable?

Are you aware that it's a 2hr drive between Joliet & Rockford - 110 miles?

http://www.gorockford.com/

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
848 posts
368 reviews
2. Re: A Day in Rockford - how much is achievable?

Yes, that's fine with us. At the start of our vacation we are normally raring to go pretty early in the morning as that is what we are used to back home so not worried that it will take a bit of time to get there/back.

Edited: 1:02 pm, September 11, 2012
chicago
Level Contributor
7,223 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: A Day in Rockford - how much is achievable?

Rockford is not a place I would choose to spend a day at unless it was the waterpark

There are so many better places

Morton arbor, restaurants in oak brook, lots of forest preserves ect

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
848 posts
368 reviews
4. Re: A Day in Rockford - how much is achievable?

May be a moot point now anyway. Hubby has discovered a Plowing Match in Big Rock on Saturday which I am almost certain will be his choice.

Ah well, at least there are some crafts and other things to occupy me for a little while!

5. Re: A Day in Rockford - how much is achievable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, February 24, 2014