We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prairie Grass Cafe

Which Northbrook hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL
8 posts
Prairie Grass Cafe

Seven of us met at the Prairie Grass Cafe in Northbrook for my husband's birthday. Fortunately my husband enjoyed his ahi tuna, steamed broccoli and the pinot noir wine he chose. Four of us were really turned off by the mediocre quality fo the food, and at such high prices. The first tip I had -- the chef harvests "organic" fresh basil from the flower pots in front of the restaurant -- right alongside its busy parking lot and flanking the Edens Expressway! My "parmesan-encrusted whitefish" arrived on my plate looking like a deep-fried corndog. My son-in-law's salmon was dry and my son's greek pie of feta, spinach and lamb was so heavy he could have pumped up his biceps if he'd done curls with it. The restaurant cordially replaced his meal with a meat pasta, which was just as heavy and nearly inedible. Our waitress was great, but the owners gave her too many tables to work and had her pretty harried. Dessert was a slice of seasonal pie, blackberry -- which turned out to have about seven blackberries on it and a heavy cream cheese filling and fat-laden crust. I was still sick from it the morning after. Tab was $300 including tip -- all for indigestion and a bad night's sleep. Will never go back.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
35,760 posts
67 reviews
1. Re: Prairie Grass Cafe

I ate there a few weeks ago - also with mixed reviews. We arrived fairly early while the restaurant was fairly quiet. It got crowded (and noisy) very fast.

I agree with your food observations. Basically, it was food decribed with fancy words, but mediocre quality. Definitely not worth the price. I don't mind paying higher prices for top quality products. This meal didn't qualify.

We also had a great server - when the restaurant wasn't crowded. Then she got busy and the service went down from there.

In addition, they allow smoking at the bar which drifted over in to the non-smoking dining area. Definitely an unpleasant experience.

Northbrook, IL
Level Contributor
1 post
36 reviews
2. Re: Prairie Grass Cafe

My wife and I went there and also had a disappointing experience. We were seated at a table that was so wedged in between other tables that the waiter kept bumping into me while serving adjacent diners. I finally had to say something. The host/manager made some attempt to help the situation, but seemed somewhat put out to have to do it.

Food was described as if it was something you were almost privileged to be eating, but was very average.

The whole place projected a bit of an attitude, without the food or service to back it up.

We were using a gift certificate that night, and I was glad we were, as I would not have felt good about spending my own money there.

Kenilworth, IL
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
3. Re: Prairie Grass Cafe

We had a group dinner there for a group touring the area and staying at a nearby hotel. We had arranged a private room, in the back, separated by a curtain. Everything went fine with the dinner, but when we got to dessert, there was a problem. The set menu offered a chocolate dessert, but one of our group members was a diabetic, and couldn't eat it. He politely asked a waiter, if he could have a bowl of fruit instead. The waiter actually said no, it wasn't on our set menu, and he was not authorized to do this. At this point, I got up, cornered the waiter, and again asked politely. I then offered to pay for it...$14.00 later (pretty steep for a bowl of straberries & blueberries) we got him accomodated. What are they thinking when they are so rigid like that? The diabetic person was actually a local, and I'm sure he would never go back. In addition, we were supposed to have coffee served, and it never arrived either. I would never go back. Short term gain ($14 extra for dessert) = long term loss - I'm never going here again!

4. Re: Prairie Grass Cafe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, October 08, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Northbrook