We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northbrook to downtown Chicago on Public Transit

Which Northbrook hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
reviews: 2
Northbrook to downtown Chicago on Public Transit

My husband is headed to Chicago for work meetings and his Boss has invited myself and our son to tag along and play tourist in Chicago since we have never been there before.

He has us staying at the crowne plaza in Northbrook, which is outside of Chicago I believe. Is there public transit from Northbrook to downtown Chicago, like a Light Rail Transit or Subway ? If so is there parking in Northbrook or would be have to walk or cab it from the hotel to the station? Is the area safe or should we be back before nightfall?

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
reviews: 17
1. Re: Northbrook to downtown Chicago on Public Transit

There is a train to Northbrook (www.metrarail,com, Milwaukee North line) but the Crowne Plaza is 4-5 miles away. You would be much better off staying at the Stsybridge Suites in north Glenview where you can walk to things, including the train. Northbrook is a very car-oriented town.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
reviews: 17
2. Re: Northbrook to downtown Chicago on Public Transit

Sorry, the hotel name is Staybridge Suites - it's part of the Holiday Inn group.

Canada
reviews: 2
3. Re: Northbrook to downtown Chicago on Public Transit

Unfortunately my husbands boss is paying for the hotel and he has us at the Crowne Plaza. We would be wanting to travel into chicago on the Friday and the Satudary, how far of a drive is it to a subway line, and is there parking around those places. Do you know what folks mean when they talk about the Red Line?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 67
4. Re: Northbrook to downtown Chicago on Public Transit

Red line information - transitchicago.com/riding_cta/…redline.aspx

That's a farther drive from Northbrook than the yellow line (Skokie) referenced in your other post.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 67
5. Re: Northbrook to downtown Chicago on Public Transit

BTW - you will take the yellow line train to the red line train (free transfer) to get downtown.

6. Re: Northbrook to downtown Chicago on Public Transit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 25, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Northbrook