We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Lombard next week... is it safe?

Which Lombard hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, Minnesota
reviews: 11
Visiting Lombard next week... is it safe?

Just wondering how safe Lombard and the surrounding area is? Traveling from a medium sized Minnesota city, and this will be my first trip to the Chicago area. Chicago is on the news often recently with reports of shootings and I just need some advice. Any other suggestions, site-seeing ideas, and guidance is greatly appreciated!

10 replies to this topic
Brookfield, Illinois
reviews: 28
1. Re: Visiting Lombard next week... is it safe?

Lombard and the surrounding suburbs are very safe.

It is a suburb about 40 minutes outside of the downtown of the area. It is a pretty non-descriptpt area, and several suburbs just run intot he next near there. There is a large mall called Yorktown Center, that has stories and plenty of dining options (many national chains but a few local places), and up the street is Oak Brook Center Shopping Center that has some more high end stores or designer boutiques.

For tourist info are you lookign for stuff to do in the area of Lombard or do you want to venture into the city itself.

Lombard doe snot have much tourist things, besides the malls, in nearby Naperville you have the DuPage County Children's Musuem. The nearby town of Wheaton has the Cantigny Museum - this has a beautiful gardens and a World War II museums they have tanks on the ground.

On July 21st they have an all day concert with various music and at night is Gary Sineese's Lt. Dan Band it is a fundraiser for an organization that supports the military.

The Morton Arboretum is also near to Lombard not sure exactly which suburb that is in and there is the Brookfield Zoo about 15 minutes away.

Venturing into Downtown Chicago is easy from Lombard looking to take a Metra train would be cheaper than parking. The tourist areas of Chicago are safe as are many of the neighborhodos, with any big city you have a small element of tourist related crimes (pick pockets) but the stuff tha tis making the news majority of that is in a few bad neighborhoods in the city.

chicago
reviews: 19
2. Re: Visiting Lombard next week... is it safe?

lombard is not chicago, its a suburb about 20-30 miles away

its safe but not a nice suburb, i wouldnt go there, why are you staying there?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 66
3. Re: Visiting Lombard next week... is it safe?

For ideas of what to see/do in the area - http://www.discoverdupage.com/

Saint Charles...
reviews: 130
4. Re: Visiting Lombard next week... is it safe?

Lombard is fine. It's not Chicago, not close enough to Chicago either where you'd need to give your safety such a second thought.

While in Lombard you might want to check out Brick's Wood Fired Pizza at 132 W. St. Charles Road. Great pizza!

Other than that, I cannot really think of anything else to do there which stands out in some way.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
5. Re: Visiting Lombard next week... is it safe?

The OP was here in early July.

Elk Grove Village...
reviews: 61
6. Re: Visiting Lombard next week... is it safe?

I completely disagree with the statement that "Lombard is not a nice suburb." It's a fairly typical middle class Chicago suburb. It has a nice little downtown area, and some of the extensive Yorktown/Butterfield Rd. shopping corridor has Lombard addresses. I wouldn't rate it as a tourist destination, and but there is nothing about it that would make me recommend that anyone avoid it or find somewhere else to go if they were otherwise in the area.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 89
7. Re: Visiting Lombard next week... is it safe?

The downtown Lombard area is quaint and nice. Lilac park there has all kinds of gardens and lilac trees from all over the world. Very nice during May lilac time, and Christmas lights as well. Good bike trails and parks. Some nice restaurants and a few bars, although I would not make Brick's Pizza a destination by any means.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
8. Re: Visiting Lombard next week... is it safe?

Again - the OP was here in July.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 89
9. Re: Visiting Lombard next week... is it safe?

FYI Dave-I'm posting for whoever is interested in the subject.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 88
10. Re: Visiting Lombard next week... is it safe?

FYI tulu - this is an old post. You haven't been around lately. You may have missed the date. How's everything on the far side of the state out near the Quad Cities? Is the Mississippi River really too low for barge traffic?

Reply to: Visiting Lombard next week... is it safe?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted