We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi from Midway Airport to Downers Grove

Which Downers Grove hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City...
reviews: 1
taxi from Midway Airport to Downers Grove

my son's family recently moved to Downers Grove, and I am visiting next week. I thought to spare my Daughter-in-law some stress by getting a taxi to and from the airport. There are several options to be found via Google but I thought I'd see if anyone has any specific recommendations or companies to avoid. I've not had much experience at this. Don't know whether to just grab one or get a reservation. For sure I would need a reservation for the return trip. Mainly I want to be safe and not wind up paying double the standard rate. I will have luggage; otherwise I might try public transportation.

10 replies to this topic
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 67
1. Re: taxi from Midway Airport to Downers Grove

Flat rate taxi - http://americantaxi.com/home.asp

Follow these instructions - americantaxi.com/passenger_info.asp#Midway

Do NOT take a Chicago taxi from the regular taxi line. A very expensive mistake.

No public transit between MDW and DG.

chicago
reviews: 19
2. Re: taxi from Midway Airport to Downers Grove

its really quite easy to get picked up at midway, its not like ohare, i would have her pick you up and save the $80 for a nice dinner

Illinois
reviews: 53
3. Re: taxi from Midway Airport to Downers Grove

Agree with msmejkal. I make that trek to pick up family at Midway frequently, and all but the last two miles is expressway. Much more crowded than MCI though! I must admit that I am dreading picking up my son there on the day before Thanksgiving when it is crazy crowded.

Kansas City...
reviews: 1
4. Re: taxi from Midway Airport to Downers Grove

ok, I used the let's go out for dinner ploy and my daughter-in-law says she'll pick me up. I found where she can park if she needs to wait for me, but nothing on where I go. I know I will exit from the main terminal. I suppose there are exit doors near each baggage claim area. I will probably will able to tell once I'm out there which lane is for passenger pickup via private car. I've been there before and think you have to go to the 2nd or 3rd lane over from the terminal. Is that right or am I thinking of O'Hare? In Kansas City, where I live, it's all so simple. (and small)

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
5. Re: taxi from Midway Airport to Downers Grove

Yes - it's well marked. Small and easy.

Edited: 7:41 am, November 01, 2011
Illinois
reviews: 53
6. Re: taxi from Midway Airport to Downers Grove

There is a Kiss 'n' Fly lot at Midway, but we have only used it once. It's only a half hour drive from Downers Grove to Midway, so you could probably call your daughter-in-law when you land, and by the time you get off the plane and get your luggage, you won't have much of a wait. I hope you enjoy your visit to DG!

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
7. Re: taxi from Midway Airport to Downers Grove

Depending on traffic, it's closer to an hour from DG to MDW. In addition, there's construction along Cicero between MDW and 55.

8. Re: taxi from Midway Airport to Downers Grove

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:06 am, November 10, 2012
Edited: 11:06 am, November 10, 2012

Brookfield, Illinois
reviews: 27
9. Re: taxi from Midway Airport to Downers Grove

The only bad thing about Midway is that the Police are really strict about cars sitting there waiting to pick up people. It is not allowed at all... so unless you are actually loading the car and getting in they will yell at her to leave.

There is a cell phone lot a little south of the airport. She should wait there and you call her when you are in the baggage claim area (if you checked bags do not have her come until you have your bags in hand) . All the doors are numbered so tell her what door you are buy and then proceed to go outsie to wait from her, the cell phone lot is only 5 minutes away.

If you choose a cab, program American Taxi's number in your phone and call them after you have your luggage they will tell you the cab number and where to meet them.American Taxi will tell you the flat rate to Downers Grove from Midway upfront so no surprises when you get there. www.americantaxi.com

If you just walk outside and get in any cab they will take you, but they will not inform you that they charge 1 and half times the meter rate, and a surcharge for each town they go through (which there are dozens of suburbs between DG and midway) - so it will be well over $100

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
10. Re: taxi from Midway Airport to Downers Grove

Teekay - this post is over a year old. Only resurrected due to a solicitation post.

Reply to: taxi from Midway Airport to Downers Grove
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Downers Grove