We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Something special to do in Chicago for a 30th birthday

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 22
Something special to do in Chicago for a 30th birthday

Hello!

Whilst in Chicago as part of our honeymoon, my fiance will turn 30 :) I would love to do something special for him, maybe a sporting match or watching a TV show being filmed, or maybe something completely different!

I would love some ideas from you all!

Many thanks

15 replies to this topic
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 64
1. Re: Something special to do in Chicago for a 30th birthday

Baseball - White Sox are in town during your visit - http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 83
2. Re: Something special to do in Chicago for a 30th birthday

I was wondering how Dave knew when you were coming but I se that you have another post that says early July. OK people the OP is coming in July. The date has a lot to do with what is available.

What does he like to do? We don't know him. Our sports are different than yours. As Dave noted: it's baseball season. But does he like mummies, dinosaur bones, coal mines or antique trains,; is he an art collector and if so what genre? Does he like architecture or Al Capone? Is he a "foodie" or chocoholic? Does he want to go on a micro brew beer tasting toot with or without hot chicken wings? Is he a romantic for a dinner on the 95th floor of the Hancock Building after a horse drawn carriage ride with you? You might also type his interests in this forum's search engine.

go to http://www.choosechicago.com/things-to-do/chicago-events/events-calendar/?e_viewby=day&neighborhood=0&usemap=true&orderby=eventdate%2Ctype_sortorder%2C+title%2C+enddate%2C+featured&e_pagenum=1&e_sdate=07%2F01%2F2014&e_edate=07%2F08%2F2014&e_pagesize=25 and see what is happening in the city

for example:

Let them Eat Chaos is at Second City

The Millennium Park film fest is in Mellennium Park

Brigadoon is at the Goodman Theatre and Motown the Musical is at the Oriental Theatre

Edited: 9:56 am, December 30, 2013
Chicago
reviews: 41
3. Re: Something special to do in Chicago for a 30th birthday

Have 30 roses delivered to your hotel room.

Nassau, New...
4. Re: Something special to do in Chicago for a 30th birthday

A Segway Tour, if you haven't done them before. Cool Fun.

And another vote for the baseball game. Try stubhub for tickets if ticketmaster doesn't have what you want.

Have Fun!

Chicago
reviews: 2
5. Re: Something special to do in Chicago for a 30th birthday

Hi!

Chicago is a beautiful city! Judging by the replies, it seems like you will be visiting during the summer? I would highly recommend

1.Taking a segway tour! They're about 2 hours long and a guide will give you great insight of the city.

2. You have to see a cubs game if he's into sports! Not the white soxs but the cubs because they play in Wrigley field!

3. For dinner i would definitely take him to the signature room which is located on the 95th floor of the John Hancock building and ask for a window seat! I would reserve ahead of time too.

Copper Country, MI
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
reviews: 178
6. Re: Something special to do in Chicago for a 30th birthday

I second going to Second City. Either stage is good. Then take him to Pops http://popsforchampagne.com/ for a special glass of the bubbly.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 9
7. Re: Something special to do in Chicago for a 30th birthday

Check out what is going on in Millenium Park.....they have concerts, dance, movies, etc. We love to head down and check out some music with an awesome picnic dinner (wine, too).

I also recommend the Chicago Architectural Foundation boat tours. My favorite one! Dinner....SOOO many amazing options. What type of food? I would get out and check out Chicago's amazing neighborhoods and stay away from the usual touristy places. For example, if you love beer, Hop Leaf in Andersonville is known for beer and mussels.

The more details about what you like to do will help guide some unique suggestions.

Chicago, Illinois
8. Re: Something special to do in Chicago for a 30th birthday

Kayak the Chicago river (it's very quiet and a great way to see the city in a different way)

I echo what the others say, get out of downtown and check out the other neighborhoods such as Andersonville or Wicker Park for food (Big Star, Las Palmas, Bongo Room)

Taste of Chicago and dozens of other festivals are in the month of July as well, we even get things like sausage fest, beer fest, bacon fest, etc. Keep your eyes on a calender for upcoming events

You could rent a Hertz To Go and drive down to Starved Rock.

Chicago
9. Re: Something special to do in Chicago for a 30th birthday

I like the idea of going down the river. Maybe go out on a sailboat (on the lake) that's chartered? Maybe that's too much, I have no idea. The lake is awesome, especially in July.

It's not too early to book at some of the best restaurants. I know some book three months in advance.

Chicago, Illinois
10. Re: Something special to do in Chicago for a 30th birthday

I agree-Renting a boat (or jet ski) is another great idea.

Reply to: Something special to do in Chicago for a 30th birthday
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted