We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about weather & suggestions

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Taipei, Taiwan
Questions about weather & suggestions

Hello everyone, I will be in Chicago for the next week but don't have too much time to enjoy everything in the beautiful city. I did some research but have some little questions.

1. I saw the weather forecast for the week of 17/11, and it seems that several days will be cloudy. I'm wondering will the city view be gloomy ;(? Or the weather in Chicago changes within only one day, so I should be positive?

2. If it's cloudy day, do you still suggest us go to Willis Tower and John Hancock to see the day/night view? I'm afraid that we won't be able to see anything if it's cloudy day...

3. If I plan to go for Wendella's city and lake 90-minute tour, would you suggest us go in the morning or at dusk? I'm wondering if people can see the beautiful night view from the lake at dusk?

4. Can we go to Navy Pier at nights to see the skyline? Is it free of admission fee? Is it safe at night?

5. In Chicago download and River North, is it safe to walk around at night around 9-10PM?

6. I know it's a tough choice... If we are going to both Willis Tower and Big John, which do you suggest us go for day view and the other for night view? (I know both are wonderful lol...)

7. In November, do we have to wait in line for a long time until we get to take the elevators?

8.I know there might be some "reflections" from the glass windows when we try to take photos at night... Does anyone have any good advise to avoid as many reflections as possible to take good photos at night on the Observatory?

9. Is sunset view in John Hancock Observatory highly recommended?

Thank you so much for your help :)

Really appreciate it!

Taipei, Taiwan
11. Re: Questions about weather & suggestions

Thanks guys.

1. This video was taken in Signature Room or Signature Lounge? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oSIxcW4Q4I) The title indicates that it’s in Signature Room. And it seems like people can see from different angles?

2. So which one is better? John Hancock Observatory or the Signature Lounge?

3. Winter in the top of the building is filled with crowds?

Thank you guys soooo much!

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 66
12. Re: Questions about weather & suggestions

1. Signature Room gives you 360 degree views of the entire city. Signature lounge does not.

2. Apples vs Oranges

3. On a clear day maybe.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 89
13. Re: Questions about weather & suggestions

OK, let's say this again. The Signature Lounge is a bar on the west - and only the west- side of the building. The Signature Room is a restaurant in the south/east corner of the room. The Observation Deck is a full floor facing all directions. That's it; u-tube or no u-tube. Your question has been answered 8 times.

Taipei, Taiwan
14. Re: Questions about weather & suggestions

Thanks.... I got confused because the video titled "Signature Lounge" showed different angles...

Chicago Suburbs
reviews: 103
15. Re: Questions about weather & suggestions

Although the Signature Lounge is along the west side of the building, there are windows facing both north and south, stretching further east along the south wall. Think of the bottom of a horizontal rectangle going up a bit on both sides, more on the right. The video shows someone walking from the north side to the south side along the west wall, then across the south wall. There's an extension of the bar along the south wall; separate from the main bar. I think you get an excellent view to the south; not as much to the north. You get a great southern view from the ladies' room! At night, the view directly east is of the dark lake.

The bar level is on the floor above the two story dining room. When you get off the elevator, you can look across the restaurant and see the lake view although you won't really get good pictures.

In terms of cloudiness, if the clouds are very high you can still get a good night view. If they are low, you might not be able to see the ground. And take heart - Chicago forecasts are seldom accurate a week in advance.

Which tower? Depends on what you want to see - a view of the city, or a view in the city. Personally I love the Hancock for the details you can see along the lakefront like the museum buildings, the Ferris Wheel on Navy Pier, et al.

Taking night pictures: use a tripod, or set your camera on something like a beanbag or hat to hold the camera steady and take a timer picture rather than pushing the shutter directly. If nothing better can be done, rest the camera on someone else's shoulder to help keep it steady. Try to get the lens up against the window as close as possible, and use your coat to create a curtain around your camera to block the inside light. Remember to turn off your flash!

Re dusk - if you're on the ground rather than in a building, remember that the city buildings will block the setting sun. So you do need to go high to get that sunset! (But not on a cloudy day.) Maybe you could go over to the lakefront and see the sunrise instead - dawn rather than dusk.

Two more good places to to see the skyline day or night:

-outside Adler Planetarium. Better than the view from Navy Pier.

- the Nichols Bridgeway between the Art Institute and Millennium Park. Very pretty view looking north across the park.

Edited: 12:19 am, November 11, 2013
Taipei, Taiwan
16. Re: Questions about weather & suggestions

Thanks MGreene16. :)

1. I wish we will see sunny day when we get there :)

2. Ouside Adler Planetarium, will 8:00-9:00PM be a safe place?

3. Nichols Bridgeway is open until very late? Any admission needed? On this bridgeway, we can see the Norther part of the city at night, right?

Thanks again :)

Chicago Suburbs
reviews: 103
17. Re: Questions about weather & suggestions

I'll have to let city dwellers chime in but I believe Adler is such a popular viewpoint that there are always tourists coming and going. Are you still going to be in Chicago on November 21? You could go to Adler After Dark: www.adlerplanetarium.org/adler-after-dark/ I've never been but it's quite popular and that looks like a great event.

The bridge is always open as far as I know; it's a public access way. You get great views of the the buildings on the east and north side of Grant Park: chicagotribune.com/features/chi-051309-bridg…

Taipei, Taiwan
18. Re: Questions about weather & suggestions

Thanks for the information. I will be at Chicago on that day but still not sure if I got time to go there.

The skyline view inside and outside Adler Planetarium is very different?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 66
19. Re: Questions about weather & suggestions

Skyline views are outside of the Adler.

20. Re: Questions about weather & suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 13, 2014