We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Union League Club of Chicago 65 W. Jackson Blvd. Chicago, I

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Union League Club of Chicago 65 W. Jackson Blvd. Chicago, I

We are traveling to Chicago in July for a family event being held at The Union League. I am unable to afford this venue. I am looking for affordable options including lodging and meals for a family plus options for sightseeing in the area. We will be there from Thursday to Monday. As of right now we don't know if we will be flying or driving. I have a 21', lifted truck which causes problems for public parking ramps. If we park at the hotel it's another 25$ a day.

Every little bit of information you can give me will help greatly. We have never been to this area. Our rates for this hotel come in at 200$ a night incl. taxes, plus the parking fee if utilized.

:) Thank you!!!!

25 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 4
1. Re: Union League Club of Chicago 65 W. Jackson Blvd. Chicago, I

That $25 parking fee may be the best deal you get, parking elsewhere will be $45+ There are some cheaper hotels located on south Michigan Ave between Jackson and Roosevelt. The Union League is very old and stuffy by design, the rooms are nice, but I would not want to stay there. You may want to consider priceline. There is a lot of cheap fast food in the area, but it is quiet on the weekends because it is the business district. I recommend checking out PotBellys and Pret a Manger both on Michigan Ave. There are some good little places in Printers Row just south of the ULC.

Chicago
reviews: 44
2. Re: Union League Club of Chicago 65 W. Jackson Blvd. Chicago, I

Priceline or hotwire would be a good start. Also, maybe check the websites of the holiday inn's or ramada's or other low cost hotels. And I'm not sure about your transportation and what that is all about, but you may want to stay out in the suburbs at the hotels that have parking lots to accommodate your truck or whatever that is and commute via train downtown at the Union League Club for your event.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 84
3. Re: Union League Club of Chicago 65 W. Jackson Blvd. Chicago, I

Your truck is going to be the problem. Garages just aren't designed for vehicles over 6'. You could take Amtrak from NYC and not deal with a car in Chicago at all. You need a car in Chicago as much as you need a car in Manhattan. The River North Best Western is the only downtown hotel that has free parking. Check with them if they have an open lot; I think that they do have some spaces in the lot behind the hotel. It's also one of the less expensive properies but very well located. http://www.rivernorthhotel.com/ July is high season for conventions, events and tourists so a hotel room around $200/night is a good rate.

If the River North Best Western will work for you make reservations a.s.a.p. because with free parking and a good location it sells out early and fast.

New York
4. Re: Union League Club of Chicago 65 W. Jackson Blvd. Chicago, I

Hello all and thank you for the help thus far. I am traveling in from Buffalo NY. I will do the research on what you have offered so far.

Greatly appreciated.

Any suggestions as to what to do in the area that's within walking distance? The financial district keeps getting mentioned. Seems like a quiet place to be for an entire weekend. The only times we would be booked would be for the rehearsal dinner Friday night and the wedding Saturday afternoon and night. Have FriDAY open, all day Sunday....need to eat Thursday.

:)

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 67
5. Re: Union League Club of Chicago 65 W. Jackson Blvd. Chicago, I

http://www.choosechicago.com/ for ideas of what to see/do here.

www.chicagoreader.com and www.chicagomag.com for current dining and entertainment information.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
reviews: 17
6. Re: Union League Club of Chicago 65 W. Jackson Blvd. Chicago, I

You'll be within walking distance or a bus ride of all kinds of attractions. July is full of festivals. If you want help picking a hotel, pleases give us the exact dates of your stay, and the number of beds you need. If you are staying over the 4th of July weekend, you can get some deals as low as $125 a night, but a regular summer weekend is typically $200-250.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
reviews: 79
7. Re: Union League Club of Chicago 65 W. Jackson Blvd. Chicago, I

Given the size, there are probably some restrictions on where you can operate your truck, too. e.g. Jackson Boulevard

"I have a small pickup with truck license plates. Can I drive it on Lake Shore Drive?

No. You cannot drive any vehicle designed to carry freight or other commercial goods on Lake Shore Drive--or on any thoroughfare designated as a boulevard-- even if you are not using the vehicle for that purpose."

Source:

https:/…20Related

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 84
8. Re: Union League Club of Chicago 65 W. Jackson Blvd. Chicago, I

I just checked train tickets four 2 adults and 2 children (www.amtrak.com). This far out, round trip, for all four totals $210.00 in Chaircar. The train is #49, The Lakeshore Limited. That's = to four days of garage parking at 900 mall across the street from The Drake. That is also $50 less than a single night July 2014 rate showing for the Drake on hotels.com ($269.00).

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
reviews: 79
9. Re: Union League Club of Chicago 65 W. Jackson Blvd. Chicago, I

That Amtrak rate might be cheaper than fuel to drive...

New York
10. Re: Union League Club of Chicago 65 W. Jackson Blvd. Chicago, I

THIS IS FANTASTIC NEWS! I have started looking into the policies regarding cancellations...I can book a train now with no worries.

Keep the GREAT information coming, everyone. I am ABSOLUTELY appreciative. My family has only gotten together 2x in 17 years. I really didn't want finances to cause me to miss out.

I would be arriving on the 10th of July and leaving on the 14th. As of now I have the Union Club booked since my entire family will be there at 200 a night but would be willing...especially for the night of the 10th and the night of the 13th....to relocate.

We definitely have one adult and one 9yo...the rest will be determined.

Reply to: Union League Club of Chicago 65 W. Jackson Blvd. Chicago, I
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted