We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Chicago excited for Eataly

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 37
Is Chicago excited for Eataly

Eataly will be open in time for my next trip to Chicago. How do the locals (and other travelers) feel about the megaplex opening it's second US location right in River North?

The idea of Eataly, like any huge megastore, frightens me. Do you think it will work in the location (the former Texas de Brazil)? I picture a whole lot of congestion in an already crowded area.

Or is everyone super excited and ready to check it out?

41 replies to this topic
Chicago
reviews: 1
1. Re: Is Chicago excited for Eataly

I am so excited!

Frankly, I've never even heard of it.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
2. Re: Is Chicago excited for Eataly

I have heard of Eataly in New York but also had no idea they were opening one in Chicago.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 89
3. Re: Is Chicago excited for Eataly

This reads like an ad. I'm not excited about it.

Edited: 2:42 pm, September 04, 2013
Chicago
reviews: 171
4. Re: Is Chicago excited for Eataly

never heard of it either, but after a quick little google search, methinks it's gonna be something like an italian Super H Mart......

5. Re: Is Chicago excited for Eataly

This isn't an ad. Did you miss the part about how I find mega-uber shopping "meccas" frightening? I think of when the one in New York opened and there was a line around the block for weeks. I am dreading it, frankly, and was wondering if locals are dreading the congestion of people, or are excited. But it seems it's not even widely known about so maybe I'm wrong.

6. Re: Is Chicago excited for Eataly

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 am, September 05, 2013

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
7. Re: Is Chicago excited for Eataly

I don't think they're really promoting it yet. I have not seen an ad or billboard or anything about it. I don't think people know its coming.

Chicago
reviews: 171
8. Re: Is Chicago excited for Eataly

when super h mart opened out in niles almost 10 years ago, i heard there were traffic jams several miles out in all directions..... they moved into an old dominicks/omni store (remember those?) in the old lawrencewood mall (remember that one?).... been pretty successful, since... but then again, there is plenty of free parking, and there's plenty of customer base in that neck of the woods.....

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
reviews: 1
9. Re: Is Chicago excited for Eataly

Eataly has been very successful in NY with the locals. One would assume that it would be the same in Chicago. I believe they have had some issues with getting the proper permits for the space which has delayed the project. Why a store would frighten anyone especially someone who does not live here is beyond me but of course this is the interweb so anything is game. :)

B.

10. Re: Is Chicago excited for Eataly

No it's really none of my business if a huge store with several restaurants opens in Chicago. And no it doesn't literally frighten me. :| I have no plans to go there but I will be going to Chicago (at least) twice in the next year and will be in the River North area at some points- I was just wondering what the general buzz is there (none apparently) and if it will be as huge a mass of humanity and chaos as it was in New York (gathering from what I read in the Times, Village Voice, etc). So, sorry I asked.

Reply to: Is Chicago excited for Eataly
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted