We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best driving route O'Hare to Tri-Taylor and back to O'Hare

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tempe, Arizona
Best driving route O'Hare to Tri-Taylor and back to O'Hare

I am visiting Chicago for the first time on Thursday Oct 3. I arrive at O'hare at 2:39pm. I expect it will be near 4pm by the time I pick up the rental car and start driving to the Tr-Taylor neighborhood where we will be staying. Google maps show 3 routes. I'd like advice from locals as to which would be the best route:

1. 90 east then 290 west

2. 294 south then 290 east

3. Route 12/45 south to 290 east

I am returning to O'Hare later that day to pick up family arriving at 8:30pm.

Then we all return again to O'hare on Sunday Oct 6 for a 2pm flight.

Would like advice on which route to drive for the 3 trips to/from O'hare.

Thanks!

Edited: 12:16 pm, September 04, 2013
35 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 83
1. Re: Best driving route O'Hare to Tri-Taylor and back to O'Hare

You take I-90 straight from the airport to Adams or Jackson exit downtown. The route you note will work but it is the suburban toll road around the city. We can't give you specific directions since you didn't give an address. The West side is not a hotel/tourist area so you might be staying with relatives or friends in a house. Perhaps they can give you specific directions. Use Mapquest.com

Tempe, Arizona
2. Re: Best driving route O'Hare to Tri-Taylor and back to O'Hare

I will be staying in a vacation rental near S. Bell Ave and W. Taylor St. I did use MapQuest - just thought locals could advise regarding best routes for different times and different days.

Thanks!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
reviews: 17
3. Re: Best driving route O'Hare to Tri-Taylor and back to O'Hare

Since the Kennedy (I-90/94) will resemble a parking lot after 3:30 PM, you could consider jumping off at Western Avenue (2400 W) or Damen (2000 W) and heading straight south about 2 miles. Your apartment is between the two major streets. It will be slow going through the neighborhoods, but will give you an idea of the non-touristy Chicago. For the evening and Sunday runs, using the Eisenhower to the Kennedy should be reasonably fast.

Edited: 12:49 pm, September 04, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
4. Re: Best driving route O'Hare to Tri-Taylor and back to O'Hare

City traffic 7:00am to midnight. Grin and bear it on I90. Any route will have rush hour traffic at 4:00pm. You might as well take the hypotonous of the triangle and give yourself fewer miles of bumper to bumper. That's one problem of staying in a neighborhood -you have to have a car in the city. Budget $50/day parking costs for the car if you use it.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
5. Re: Best driving route O'Hare to Tri-Taylor and back to O'Hare

There's really no way to know which will be best as traffic on any particular day could be bad on either highway. 290 and 90 are both very busy routes. Hard to know which is worse. If you listen to the radio, AM780, they do traffic reports on the 8's. Or you can use google maps on your smart phone and turn the traffic on. Or use an app like Wayze that shows local traffic to see what traffic is like when you are driving.

On Sunday, probably either of the routes will be just fine.

Tempe, Arizona
6. Re: Best driving route O'Hare to Tri-Taylor and back to O'Hare

Thanks to all for the advice.

Is traffic on the 290 bad heading towards downtown? Seems like it would be heavier heading west in the late afternoon and less heavy heading east. I have no experience with Chicago traffic though.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
7. Re: Best driving route O'Hare to Tri-Taylor and back to O'Hare

People live in the city and commute to the suburbs. People live in the suburbs and commute into the city. Traffic is bad in both directions.

Tempe, Arizona
8. Re: Best driving route O'Hare to Tri-Taylor and back to O'Hare

I am figuring on a one hour drive from O'Hare at 4pm- is this reasonable?

For the return to O'Hare on Sunday at noon should we also expect a one hour drive time?

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
9. Re: Best driving route O'Hare to Tri-Taylor and back to O'Hare

At 4pm, it's reasonable, but it could also be 90 minutes to 2 hours if there's an accident along the way. Traffic varies a lot. It's hard to know. Thursday and Friday afternoons are in general the worst traffic days to go into the city from the airport. I've seen times from O'Hare to downtown ranging from 25 minutes to 2 hours at that time of day. Your route 1 is basically going all the way in and then a ways back out on 290.

On a Sunday at noon, I would expect a half hour. And it will be a lot more consistent because it's not rush hour. Unless there's a huge accident, it should not be more than an hour.

Tempe, Arizona
10. Re: Best driving route O'Hare to Tri-Taylor and back to O'Hare

"Your route 1 is basically going all the way in and then a ways back out on 290."

I considered this and thought maybe this is the worst of the 3 routes at 4pm on a Thursday.

Reply to: Best driving route O'Hare to Tri-Taylor and back to O'Hare
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted