We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Running by the lake?

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
near Saratoga, NY
reviews: 15
Running by the lake?

I'll be staying a few blocks away from the lake this week and was thinking about trying to get a run in. Is there a trail by the lake that would be a safe place to run?

Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 88
1. Re: Running by the lake?

There are 18 miles of lakefront running, biking and park trails. Where are you staying? Saying that you're staying by the lake includes 33 miles of lakefront.

…nytimes.com/2009/…

https://www.google.com/search?q=lake+run+chicago&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Lakefront_Trail

…wordpress.com/2009/…

Edited: 9:12 pm, September 02, 2013
near Saratoga, NY
2. Re: Running by the lake?

Maybe it's a little further from the lake than I thought... Embassy Suites 600 North State Street.

I have a half marathon coming up in two weeks and only need to get in 4-5 miles.

Is the lakefront trail a safe place for a woman to run alone?

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
3. Re: Running by the lake?

The lakefront trail is completely safe for everyone. it's very busy. Your biggest concern will be not bring run over by the roller bladess and bikes.

Edited: 9:25 pm, September 02, 2013
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 66
4. Re: Running by the lake?

You're about 7 blocks west of the lakefront. Daytime running alone should be fine. There will be other runners on the path throughout the day.

Chicago, Illinois
5. Re: Running by the lake?

chicagobikes.org/pdf/lakefront_trail061608.p…

near Saratoga, NY
6. Re: Running by the lake?

Great! Thank you!

Chicago
reviews: 171
7. Re: Running by the lake?

re. safety---better to stay north of the museum campus. and during the day, there are millions of runners, bikers, bladers and walkers, so you'll be fine.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 48
8. Re: Running by the lake?

I think as others have noted that the biggest risk is being hit by a bike or roller bladder -- it is really important to follow the norms of running on the border on the right and to be very careful to look before moving across the path as those bikes are really moving. in many areas there is a sort of concrete embankment by the river that is quite wide and walkers and some joggers often choose that where it is available.

also of course watch for the footing as there are occasionally potholes or uneven spots in the trail

Chicago, Illinois
9. Re: Running by the lake?

The south part of the lakefront trail is also just fine during the day. In a lot of ways, it's nicer because it is less crowded so you don't have to worry about being run over. I actually like that section from the Museum Campus down to 57th street and the Museum of Science and Industry better because it is more peaceful. But given that you're starting a way north of the Museum Campus anyway, it's not really an issue.

Chicago
reviews: 3
10. Re: Running by the lake?

I totally agree with Wes. For other people reading this thread, the southern part of the path is really great. The city has re-seeded major parts of it to prairie grass and flowers and it is very peaceful. When you turn back north, you get fantastic views of the cityscape.