We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bears Game / Soldier Field Stay where we can walk to game?

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
reviews: 20
Bears Game / Soldier Field Stay where we can walk to game?

My son and I are coming to Chicago to see the Bears opening weekend Sept 13- we would like to stay somewhere that is accessible to the field - prefer to walk or take public transit- and an area that's good for walking around and seeing as much of the city as we can. There are so many area on the board here that I'm not sure where to begin... for hotel looking for maybe 4 star but not that particular. Is there an area we can start looking in, where I can research a hotel that will allow us to make our way to the game easily? Thanks

11 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
1. Re: Bears Game / Soldier Field Stay where we can walk to game?

River north or mag mile. Maybe a 2 mike walk but central and lots of hotels or tourist services. Tou can also tajw publuc teanspirt to the game from there. You can get closer if you stay in the loop if you don't mind it being quieter at night.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 66
2. Re: Bears Game / Soldier Field Stay where we can walk to game?

Renaissance Blackstone on Michigan Ave should be considered. Less than a mile to SF.

As Wes indicated Mag Mile and River North hotels are best from a visitor's perspective. Many hotels to choose from. Play with your proposed dates using www.hotels.com or similar site and see what works with your budget.

SF is easily accessible by public transit. There's a trip planner tool on the homepage of http://www.transitchicago.com/

Edited: 4:55 pm, July 21, 2013
California
3. Re: Bears Game / Soldier Field Stay where we can walk to game?

Thanks for the ideas. So although the Renaissance for example is close to SF - the River North area is better overall as far as walking around, seeing and getting to know the city a bit, etc?

Chicago, Illinois
4. Re: Bears Game / Soldier Field Stay where we can walk to game?

River north has more tourist services like hotels, restaurants, bars, shopping. That's the main reason to stay there. Further south is more business district so quieter on weekends.

California
5. Re: Bears Game / Soldier Field Stay where we can walk to game?

Perfect, just what I needed to know- thanks

California
6. Re: Bears Game / Soldier Field Stay where we can walk to game?

We are all booked, thanks for the help- we are arriving on a Friday night into O'Hare at 5pm ... which I can only assume is a nasty time to be taking a taxi into downtown. Are we better off with a taxi or messing with the blue line? We will have carry on bags only - I don't mind paying the taxi fare but prefer not to sit in a cab for two hours if that's the case on a Friday

Chicago
reviews: 3
7. Re: Bears Game / Soldier Field Stay where we can walk to game?

Blue line. Taking a cab would be a waste of money at that time.

California
8. Re: Bears Game / Soldier Field Stay where we can walk to game?

I had a feeling that might be the case ... if Chicago is anything like LA (home) at that time on a Friday, avoid driving at all costs. I'll check out the transit site for routing form O'Hare to the hotel. Thanks.

Chicago, Illinois
9. Re: Bears Game / Soldier Field Stay where we can walk to game?

Normally I think a taxi is faster, but not on a Friday at 5:00. Walking would be faster than a taxi. :-)

California
10. Re: Bears Game / Soldier Field Stay where we can walk to game?

Update - thanks for the help, we are back from our trip and had a wonderful time. The Blue Line from O'Hare was definitely the way to go - very easy (thanks to the considerate Chicago local who helped us with the tickets) and obviously way cheaper than a taxi would have been. We stayed at Renaissance Blackstone and that was a fantastic choice- very nice hotel in all aspects... easy to and from the game, lots to do around the area, easy access to subway, and the hotel itself is just wonderful.

Reply to: Bears Game / Soldier Field Stay where we can walk to game?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted