We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6.5 hours layover in Chicago

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Delhi, India
6.5 hours layover in Chicago

Hi..I have around 6.5 hours layover at O'Hare on Jan 24th from 6.30 am-12.55 pm. This would be my first time to Chicago. I was wondering if this time is sufficient to visit the downtown. If yes, what places could I squeeze in during this time and which stop should I take on the blue line?

New Delhi, India
11. Re: 6.5 hours layover in Chicago

Thanks Dave148. I followed your advice and got the 1 day fun pass before the fare increase..:)

Had an awesome time at Chicago!! People there are so helpful!! Fortunately, my flight landed an hour early at 5.30 am so I was on EL by 7.10 and reached downtown at 8.00. Since it was too early for John Hancock to open, I changed my plan and walked to Millenium Park from Washington station. Spent arnd half an hour there, got very clear view pictures of the Bean( thanks to freezing temp, there was no one around :) ). And then walked to John Hancock from there..Saw some great structures on the way and the bridge over Chicago River. I was the first person at the John Hancock as well when it opened. :) ..Left John Hancock at 9.30 .. Then went to the church in front of it.. and then took the red line from Chicago to Jackson at 9.45 am and got onto Blue line from there.. I was at the airport by 11.00 am well in time for my 12.55 flight.

Thank you all once again for helping me with your suggestions and inputs..:)

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
reviews: 17
12. Re: 6.5 hours layover in Chicago

Good for you! I'm glad you enjoyed your time here and didn't let the logistics and cold deter you. Let's hope your next visit is a bit longer ;)

Gurnee, Illinois
reviews: 17
13. Re: 6.5 hours layover in Chicago

This is great! Glad you had a good visit and things went smoothly. Thanks for the report.

14. Re: 6.5 hours layover in Chicago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 28, 2014