We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GO Airport Express - BEWARE

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Little Rock...
reviews: 1
GO Airport Express - BEWARE

Anyone else have a nightmare experience with this company??? I booked for a large conference, and the trip from O'Hare to my downtown hotel was uneventful, but took 1.5 hours. HOWEVER, on my way back to the airport, I called them to move my pickup time (from McCormick Place conference center) up by an hour because of my fear of the lengthy commute. They put 50+ of us on a charter bus, and as soon as we started driving I knew something was wrong because I felt the transmission slipping. We were in the center lane on I90 and the bus broke down. Rather than sending a new bus right away, they were trying to get the driver to remedy the situation. I immediately called their office from my cell and complained that 50 people were about to miss their flights. Because we were in the center of the highway, I then had to call the police (after city police told me it wasn't their jurisdiction, I was told to call 911, which I did, who transferred me to state police) to have them come assist. We had to be pushed (literally) down an off ramp, unload the bus and get on another bus, and not everyone could fit on the first rescue bus. I did make my flight, barely. Awful experience - I'd NEVER use them again. Next time I'll take the L blue line to and from O'Hare. Sadly, if I hadn't taken matters into my own hands by calling the company and police, I'd probably still be sitting in that bus..BEWARE of Go Airport Express.

63 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 89
1. Re: GO Airport Express - BEWARE

Many of us have used them once. ONCE.

Chicago
reviews: 48
2. Re: GO Airport Express - BEWARE

I just don't understand why people take these bizarre busses and alternate modes of transportation. Just take the blue line, or a cab. Why are people trying to reinvent the wheel all the time. Same thing with bizarre VRBO experiences. Just book a room at a reputable hotel instead of paypalling yourself around and then fighting with owners about the location or whatever.

Oostburg, Wisconsin
reviews: 55
3. Re: GO Airport Express - BEWARE

The reason why some visitors might choose it is that Airport Express provides airport service in many different U.S. cities, so maybe they've used it before. I've chosen them in several different locales (Tampa, San Diego, SF, Milw.) always with an 8-passenger van, and never had a problem.

San Francisco...
reviews: 5
4. Re: GO Airport Express - BEWARE

In other cities and in Paris, we have had mixed results with airport shuttles. Never any problems with airport pickups, but returning to the various airports .... never, never, never again. Various excuses, can't find our location, no such address, etc... We have been left standing on the street after vacating several vacation rental apartments. From now on cabs or town cars for us - we don't need the aggravation.

We have taken public transportation, usually trains from various airports into town, but if you are traveling for any length of time and there is more than one of you, with several pieces of luggage, daily commuter type of transportation can be a major problem on any kind of Metro or public transportation.

Sorry, I didn't mean to vent like this, but we have really had some close calls returning to airports.

San Francisco...
5. Re: GO Airport Express - BEWARE

P.S. Thanks for the info on GO Airport Express. We are thinking taking them one way from OHD into the City - no time criteria.

I personally like taking the shuttles into a new city. We see areas and hotels that I have researched and I can relax as the ticking of a taxi meter - cha ching, cha ching - drives me nuts.. Not know the distance and routes inn a new city, we have had too many city 'tours' before reaching our destination.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 66
6. Re: GO Airport Express - BEWARE

Getting to/from downtown from either O'Hare or Midway airport is quite easy using public transit. The sticky post - From the Airports Downtown - at the top of this forum has all of the information.

San Francisco...
7. Re: GO Airport Express - BEWARE

Cheap and easy- without luggage which is not always an option, and depending on the time of day :-(

chicago
reviews: 21
8. Re: GO Airport Express - BEWARE

Taking the cta from ohare at anytime of day with luggage and even with kids is quite easy, taking a taxi is a much better deal than the shuttle unless you are traveling alone

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 89
9. Re: GO Airport Express - BEWARE

canthespam: CTA Blue Line from ORD and the Orange line from MDW is like your BART from SFO. It's easy to get a corner seat with your luggage at the beginning station. It's best to verify that your end station has an elevator or you'll have to use the escalators. That's one reason most of us suggest Grand Ave. or Clark-Lake St stations for visitors using the Blue or Orange line.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
reviews: 14
10. Re: GO Airport Express - BEWARE

We've done it many times with luggage on both routes and its very easy, and talk about relaxing, with $2.25 invested and no meter even better.

Reply to: GO Airport Express - BEWARE
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted