We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time to chicago

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
first time to chicago

Don't want to sound lame, but all I'm looking for are some good starter tips when visiting chicago. where's the best area to stay, we like to be in the middle of all the action. (we're married in our early 30's). Top 5 things we have to see, we are staying 5 days. top 5 restaurants we have to eat at ( we love local, unspoiled stuff), money is no object. If there's any more info you would like to volunteer it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks S.G.

By the way, what amazing hotel should we stay at.?

Illinois City...
reviews: 7
1. Re: first time to chicago

What is your hotel budget per night and what days are you considering staying?

Midwest
reviews: 7
2. Re: first time to chicago

I recommend you consider a blues bar (any of them - they're all touristy, but if you go during the week you'll have a better experience), a jazz bar (especially the Green Mill or the Velvet Room), some classic Chicago neighborhood bars/pubs (Chipp Inn, Beachwood, Hopleaf), a medium/small theatre (Steppenwolf, Chopin Theatre, some really tiny storefront joints), a walk along Lake Michigan (especially Oak Street Beach & north), and get up into the neighborhoods (Wicker Park, Bucktown, Logan Square, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Ravenswood/Lincon Square, Andersonville). Almost all of the hotels are downtown in the River North Area, which is filled with chain stores and restaurants and tourists. However, you can easily get up into the neighborhoods via el, bus or cab.

My picks for restaurants in the Bucktown/Wicker Park neighborhood for starters(check them out on www.metromix.com):

-Green Zebra (best vegetarian in the country)

-Hot Chocolate (especially desserts)

-Spring (everything)

-Club Lucky (martinis w/bleu cheese olives and lemon drops)

-MAS (everything - note that this place is LOUD)

Also, do not be shy about getting a Chicago hot dog & a burrito or some tacos at a small taqueria (I like La Pasadita, right off the Division stop on the blue line - there are 3 different restaurants - long story - I think the most authentic is on the west side of Ashland closest to Division)