We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August trip with son & his grandparents...PriceLine Hotels...

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, Alabama
reviews: 4
August trip with son & his grandparents...PriceLine Hotels...

Last time in Chicago was around Labor Day 10 years ago. Stayed at the Knickerbacher (sp?). Have stayed at Swissotel and another, older boutique hotel (don't recall the name) off Michigan on business trips 11 - 15 years ago. Liked the locations of all these, fab view from Swissotel.

Anyone had luck with Price Line on hotels in The Loop or Magnificent Mile area?

Any recommendations...we're planning on walking from Shedds to John Hancock...grandparents are in their 70s?

Mimi, the grandmother, wants to sail on Lake Michigan. Group charters with crew...any recommendations?

Any special events August 6 - 12?

Itinerary includes: Wrigley Field, Shedds, Science & Industry, Art Institute, Sears Tower, John Hancock, Navy Pier, Ed Debevick's (sp?), Ginos East (is it still good?),

THANKS!

Illinois City...
reviews: 7
1. Re: August trip with son & his grandparents...PriceLine Hotels...

I'd bid for the River North/Michigan Ave area for 4*.

These are the hotels for 4* in this area that are generally known:

4 Star

House of Blues Hotel Chicago

Le Parker Meridien

Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago

Westin Chicago River North

Sheraton Chicago Hotel and Towers

W Chicago Lakeshore

The Drake

Sutton Place Hotel Chicago

Omni Chicago Hotel

Intercontinental Chicago

Sofitel Chicago

Millennium Knickerbocker

Wyndham Chicago

Loop/Grant Park/Downtown area:

4 star:

Hilton Chicago

Fairmont Chicago

Hilton Palmer House

W Chicago City Center

Hard Rock Hotel Chicago

Hotel Burnham Chicago

Swissotel Hotel Chicago

Hotel Monaco

Hyatt Regency Chicago

Renaissance Chicago Hotel

The Sheraton and Millenium Knickerbocker come up pretty frequently in the North Michigan Ave. area on Priceline. Frequent loop hotels would be the Renaissance, the Hard Rock, the Hilton Palmer and the Hilton Chicago. Sofitel shows up more on Hotwire, as do the Intercontinental, Sutton Place and Westin River North. The W Chicago City Center appears frequently on Hotwire, as do the Monaco, Hard Rock, Hilton and Hilton Palmer.

For August, I'm guessing you will likely have at least somewhat better luck than July, in terms of price (bidding). Hotwire is not cheaper than priceline, but it will present you with some options and both Hotwire and Priceline have different hotels that seem to come up frequently.

Bidding with Priceline or buying with Hotwire for more than 2 people is generally a bit risky, as Hotwire apparently does guarantee bedding for up to four in a room, although there may be instances where this is a couch, a fold-out or something else.

Priceline's website notes: All hotel rooms are guaranteed for occupancy by two adults. Special requests are at the discretion of the hotel. The hotel will be happy to accommodate you if fire-safety laws allow it and the type of extra bedding you need is available. Keep in mind that requests for these items, if available, may result in additional fees payable directly to the hotel. I've certainly read instances where people have requested double bed rooms and have gotten them, but I definitely would not rely on this, and it certainly depends on the hotel and how busy it is.

Hotwire notes this on the website: All rooms booked on Hotwire will accommodate the appropriate number of guests in each room, based on the total number of guests you provided and the number of rooms you requested. While we cannot guarantee the number of beds in a property room, some properties may offer pull-out couches or cots. If you have specific needs, please contact the property directly. Our partners will do their best to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

Any questions: dvdmovie1@aol.com

Illinois City...
reviews: 7
2. Re: August trip with son & his grandparents...PriceLine Hotels...

As for Priceline successes, my most recent example would be the Omni Ambassador East hotel (rated Botique in the North Michigan Ave/River North area) for $102 +taxes. The hotel's website had rooms for that night for $206. I can't say I would recommend this hotel currently because it is undergoing some fairly noisy renovation (seems like it would be fine otherwise), but that is an example of what one can potentially get with Priceline.

Chicago, IL
reviews: 73
3. Re: August trip with son & his grandparents...PriceLine Hotels...

Check www.biddingfortravel.com for Chicago hotel Priceline info, you can see what hotels come up for what rates in what areas. For your trip 4* NMA/River North is your best bet for location as there are hotels in the Loop that are a little further away from the sights and one hotel that comes up in 3*NMA (Holiday Inn Mart) that is a bit out of the way.

From the Shedd Aquarium to the Hancock is 2 or 2 1/2 miles of a walk.

There's a schooner that goes out on Lake Michigan called Windy, it's about $25 a person. You can coordinate it with the fireworks from Navy Pier on Wed or Sat. Don't know anything about private charters.

Special events, check www.metromix.com or www.877chicago.com. No big festivals that weekend, too late for Venetian Night, too early for the Air & Water Show but there is always something going on in the city.

Is this an all adult trip? Just my opinion but I would scratch Ed Debevic's. When I was younger I thought it was fun and when Melman ran it the food was actually decent but the last time I was there the food was bad and overpriced and the schtick was annoying