We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving in Chicago?

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southampton, United...
reviews: 9
Thanksgiving in Chicago?

Hi,

What is the situation with regards shop opening times over Thanksgiving in Chicago? Will they be open as normal? And when do the typical Thanksgiving Sales start?

Also, will most restaurants be open on Thanksgiving? I believe it falls on Thursday 22nd Nov this year. I know I would have to book well in advance but are there any particular restaurants you would suggest going for Thanksgiving?

Chicago, IL
reviews: 80
1. Re: Thanksgiving in Chicago?

The Friday after Thanksgiving is a huge shopping day, lots of sales and lots of shoppers. Stores seem to be opening earlier and earlier on that Friday, some as early as midnight Thurs! I would be surprised if a lot of stores are open on Thanksgiving Day, that and Christmas Day are the days when most things are closed. You might find one or two of the museums open, the Field Museum and Shedd Aquarium are open, the Art Institute is not.

I've never gone to a restaurant on Thanksgiving but I suspect that a lot will be closed and a lot that are open will have special Thanksgiving menus. You can do a search on www.opentable.com to get an idea of some of the restaurants that will be open.

www.metromix.com usually has a round up of holiday dining options but it's probably a little too early for them to have any info yet.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 67
2. Re: Thanksgiving in Chicago?

Not all restaurant are open on Thanksgiving. Keep an eye on metromix.com to see who will be open this Thankgiving. You can book many restaurants online at opentable.com.

Holiday sales usually begin the day after Thankgiving. It's a big shopping day here. Many stores open earlier than normal on the day after Thanksgiving.

Southampton, United...
reviews: 9
3. Re: Thanksgiving in Chicago?

How long do the sales usually last around Thanksgiving?

Are they usually just for a few days or do they run for a week or longer?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 67
4. Re: Thanksgiving in Chicago?

At least a week. From Thanksgiving through the end of the year, we see retailers having sales most all of the time.

Lakeview
5. Re: Thanksgiving in Chicago?

If you are looking for a casual restaurant for Thanksgiving, try Horizon Cafe in Lakeview. They are open every year.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 103
6. Re: Thanksgiving in Chicago?

Some of the stores will have "specials" on Friday from 6 a.m. until 8 a.m. so some such time. Some specials will last until noon! However, many of the sales will continue at least through the week end if not for the entire week....and then there will be "new specials"!

The Museum of Science and Industry is open on Thanksgiving Day. In the past the store windows were decorated for Christmas by Thanksgiving. I always enjoyed going to a museum and then looking at the store window decorations that day. There were people dressed in jeans and sweatshirts (and perhaps a parka depending on the weather) and others in spike heels and furs coming from some elegant restaurant.

I am sure you will find a number of restaurants open....many serving the traditional American Thanksgiving turkey dinner. You will also find many TVs on and tuned to a football game!

Enjoy Chicago over the holiday!

Michigan
reviews: 3
7. Re: Thanksgiving in Chicago?

My daughter and I also are going to Chicago over Thanksgiving - first time in city. This posting has been very helpful. As to restaurants, though, any recommendations on vegetarian or maybe Italian restaurants that may be open on Thanksgiving? The only vegetarian restaurants I've been able to find online are either cafe style or tofu/raw food oriented. Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
8. Re: Thanksgiving in Chicago?

I found this link by "googling" Chicago restaurants open on Thanksgiving

thelocaltourist.com/holidays/restthanks.php

You would then have to check if they were vegetarian, etc.

I went to Open Table and searched vegetarian and Italian and did not have much success. That is usually a good site to find a reservation by type of cuisine or location.

Chicago, Illinois
9. Re: Thanksgiving in Chicago?

I posted too soon.

Go to

www.opentable.com for Chicago.

Enter the Chicago neighborhood where you would like to have Thanksgiving dinner; choose your time and number of people and hit search. This will give you a list of all restaurants that have openings at that time (so are open on Thanksgiving). You can then click on the restaurant which will lead you to its web site and a menu. It is cumbersome, but you can probably eliminate many by price, etc. right away.

Earth
reviews: 2
10. Re: Thanksgiving in Chicago?

Opentable.com is the best source. Even though we live in the Chicago burbs, we have Thanksgiving dinner downtown nearly every year and have often stayed at a hotel and risen early on Friday morning to do the shopping scene. Do make reservations! Most restaurants are indeed closed on Thanksgiving day in downtown Chicago. I highly recommend Coco Pazzo for "upscale casual" -- if you talk to them in advance via phone they'll let you know what they're planning and you can see if it meets your needs for a vegetarian selection, which I bet it will.