We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling by car in July what sights should I not miss

Ontario
reviews: 67
traveling by car in July what sights should I not miss

I will be flying into St. Johns the first week of July , renting a car . My husband and I plan to drive over to the west coast. We want to go to Gros Morne park, also want to see whales ( thinking St. Anthony boat tour ). We want to stop in small villages, walk around. I understand there are Arches on a coast that we want to see. Can you suggest any driving routes that would be good for us. We have 10 days and want to make the most of every day. Are there still boat tours in St. Anthony. Is there a boat tour out of Gros Morne, I seem to remember staying in a motel there and it wasn't very far to get to the boat tours. I have the name Rocky Point?? or Harbour??. Thanks so much

Gros Morne National...
reviews: 275
1. Re: traveling by car in July what sights should I not miss

Hi

St Anthony you have northland discovery tours for whale watching/iceberg viewing. The arches are around 20 km north of Gros Morne park. You want to do western brook pond tour located 10 mins south of Cow head or around 20 mins north of rocky harbour.The other tour is from norris point 8km south of Rocky harbour both operated by bonne tours. My choice would be western brook.Any drive not on the trans canada hwy are beautiful. I would be right now be looking for accommodations as this might determine what you see and where you go.Have you secured a car rental ?? might sound weird but cars and rooms are of limited supply at the time your travelling.

Barrie, Canada
reviews: 93
2. Re: traveling by car in July what sights should I not miss

If you don't have your car rented already and some of your accommodations booked you may be in for some difficulties. The car will be the biggest problem. You may not find one and you quite possibly will not be getting unlimited mileage (which can get very expensive). Book now if you haven't already.

Ontario
3. Re: traveling by car in July what sights should I not miss

Thanks for your help. Does anyone know anything about the Hotel Greenwood In Mount Pearl? We have our first night booked there but upon reading the reviews the latest is from 2012 it doesn't sound any good. Thanks about the tip for the car yes it has been rented . Can you suggest a driving route from Mount Pearl towards Gros Morin park with some sight seeing places to stop?

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 522
4. Re: traveling by car in July what sights should I not miss

You are plotting to cover a ton of ground, especially in NFLD where driving after dusk is quite dangerous...you may want to look at shortening up you trip to really enjoy the island....

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
5. Re: traveling by car in July what sights should I not miss

Are you flying out of St John's as well, or Deer Lake?

10 days is very ambitious, but a basic trip can be done. You say 10 days, does that mean 10 full days, flying out on the 11th day, or 9 nights and flying out on the 10th day?

3 nights St. John's, with day trip to Witless Bay for a boat trip to see puffins and wildlife or to Bay Bulls for whales and puffins. We went on Gatherall's and had a very good time.

2 nights Twillingate

2 nights Rocky Harbour, or Cow Head - getting up to The Arches (balloon D on the map below)

1 night Deer Lake, only to give you less of a drive back to St. John's.

1 night St John's before flying out.

If you have a 10th night, suggest you add it to Rocky Harbour so you can see the park, do Western Brook Pond and get to the Arches.

By driving to Gros Morne, this allows you barely a glimpse of a couple of places in Newfoundland.

Watch for moose on the roads.

Route map: http://goo.gl/maps/QQkC6

Gander NL
reviews: 136
6. Re: traveling by car in July what sights should I not miss

I'd do a boat tour as part of going around a loop and stay at Dildo rather than back in St. John's. With the amazing iceberg forecast, consider going around any peninsula to the north side of Nl. Leave the highway at Gambo and do Newtowns Barbour Heritage villiage and coninue around the loop to Twillingate, or do Bonavista or add Fogo to the Twillingate leg.

Waych icebergfinder.com to decide where to do a tour but book rooms and car well ahead.

Ontario
7. Re: traveling by car in July what sights should I not miss

Thank you so much everyone for your help.

8. Re: traveling by car in July what sights should I not miss

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 24, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Newfoundland