We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning Ski vacation to Sun Valley late Feb. 09, Need info.

In cooperation with: Idaho Division of Tourism
Which Sun Valley hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cheeseland
reviews: 1
Planning Ski vacation to Sun Valley late Feb. 09, Need info.

We usually drive from Wisconsin to Colorado the 3rd. or 4th. week of February. We are considering Sun Valley (driving). We have never been there. Our style is to go skiing and then usually hybernate in a condo, but we have stayed in hotels. We have a teenage girl, so we don't do the bar scene, and we eat in moderately priced restaurants (or cook in condo).

Sounds like we could stay in the "Village" or Ketchum. Would like to know pros & cons of each.

Sounds like Sun Valley is a historic resort, did most people stay in the village? Are there shuttle buses to the hills from the village or Ketchum? How far is Ketchum from the ski slopes?

Last trip to Durango Colorado, we stayed in a Residence Inn that offered condo style accomodations with the flexibility of a hotel (we weren't "locked in" for a specific lenght of time, and ended up checking out a day early without penalty).

Since there are only 3 of us, all we need is a 1 bedroom condo, but we can make a single hotel room work, too.

As you can tell, I need lost of advice, including winter route driving info. Any and all advice would be appreciated!!!

Twin Falls, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Twin Falls
reviews: 45
1. Re: Planning Ski vacation to Sun Valley late Feb. 09, Need info.

Nick, I'm going to let Charley answer the bulk of your questions, but I just want to encourage you to try Sun Valley. In the winter the best route is probably I-80 and turn north at Twin Falls on Highway 93. There's a convenient shuttle, plenty of different kinds of lodging to choose from, and a lot of great shopping. If they are having the sleigh rides when you're here, I'd recommend that for one night. I like staying in a condo, because my sweetie cooks!

Have a great trip, whatever you decide.

Pug

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
reviews: 306
2. Re: Planning Ski vacation to Sun Valley late Feb. 09, Need info.

First of all, the "village" that you are refering to i think is the town of KEtchum? They are 1 mile apart and they have a bike trail between them, meaning in the dead of winter, easy walking. The busses run all over town, easy on and off anywhere.

I would google condos in Sun Valley area, they will bring up Ketchum, and try them. If you get one in SV, you will have use of the hot pools, ect. Just check them out. The ski hill is just at the base of the mountain, on time to get there. I just thought, try Penneys Lodge (can't remember the exact name, but it will come up) and that is right at the base. He takes you over the short walk with his snowmobile. you feel special...

There are no pros or cons on where to stay. It is easy to get around from both. I would just see what is available, and decide. If you find out about any, PM me and i will check them out...enjoy

3. Re: Planning Ski vacation to Sun Valley late Feb. 09, Need info.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, October 05, 2009