We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any campground near Coeur d'Alene open early October?

In cooperation with: Idaho Division of Tourism
Which Coeur d'Alene hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minnesota
reviews: 11
Any campground near Coeur d'Alene open early October?

My husband and I want to take a week trip to Seattle, Vancouver, and Coeur d'Alene but we want to camp. We are thinking of visiting October 1-October 6. I noticed the Coeur d'Alene National Forest is already closed for camping by early October. Can anyone help that's familiar with the area and tell me if there's any other options to camp in the area during that timeframe or if everywhere will be closed by then? Is there usually snow on the ground by then - is that why campgrounds are already shut down? I'm coming from snowy Minnesota but our campgrounds are usually open till the end of October! Thanks in advance for your help!

6 replies to this topic
Coeur d Alene, Idaho
reviews: 13
1. Re: Any campground near Coeur d'Alene open early October?

It can snow in October but doesn't usually stick around. The USFS campgrounds usually close at end of September based on level of interest and funding. The federal fiscal year ends with end of September so easy time to close them down. They have experimented with keeping a campground open in Sept/Oct for hunters. It is also possible to camp along the Coeur d' Alene river in unimproved spots on US Forest Service land. An alternative in this area are two state parks, Farragut (20 miles north of Coeur d' Alene on the shore of Lake Pend Oreille) or Heyburn (35 miles south of Coeur d' Alene on the south end of Coeur d' Alene Lake). They are both open year round, you may want to check with them on camping facilities available in Oct. Idaho State Parks has a web site with contact info.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 19
2. Re: Any campground near Coeur d'Alene open early October?

NIdahoDave is right on. You're fairly hard pressed at that time of year. I like Farragut but it's whether you want services or to be out in the woods. There's a no frills spot right in Coeur d' Alene, mainly for RV's but I'm sure you can camp there too and you're a quick drive or kayak to the great downtown and restaurants, galleries etc. You can rent kayaks etc. from Row adventures, if they're still open that late in the season. Unfortunately, the streets roll up in Coeur d' Alene the day after Labor Day. I love Riley Creek up off Priest River but it's closed, a great option for another trip. If you go to Coeur d' Alene and need info' be sure to ask.

http://www.idahorvpark.com/index.html

Cheers!

San Francisco...
reviews: 2
3. Re: Any campground near Coeur d'Alene open early October?

Hi All,

I am driving down to Bay area, CA from Glacier National Park starting on Sept 2nd Tuesday afternoon. I am expecting to be around Coeur D alene around 6 Pm in the evening along the route . Will it be wise enough to camp in coeur D Alene during that time frame both from availability and weather .safety.

Thanks

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane, Chelan
reviews: 40
4. Re: Any campground near Coeur d'Alene open early October?

Anirvink,

The early part of September can be beautiful in fact clear up to the end of Sept.

When you say camp are you talking tent camping or RV? either way you shouldn't have any problems. Do you have ideas in mind?

As an example there is a camping area withing in 5 minutes of downtown Spokane next to the river people love it.You shouldn't have any problems but some require pre-booking so look carefully.

Collie

San Francisco...
reviews: 2
5. Re: Any campground near Coeur d'Alene open early October?

Colliegirl, Thanks for the response, We will be tent camping for 1 night on our way back to CA . So any pointers on camp sites that are hassle free will be greatly helpful.

Thanks

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane, Chelan
reviews: 40
6. Re: Any campground near Coeur d'Alene open early October?

Anirvink, this one is my favorites we don't stay there because I live close by but we go hiking there a lot and have family gatherings.

It's very safe, I've never heard of a problem with campers and it's usually full during the summer so give it a look, oh yes I think you have to book in advance...

www.stateparks.com/riverside_spokane.html

visitspokane.com/listings/…656

Look for the camp grounds at the Bowl and Pitcher they are closer and nicer in my opinion.

Also google it and you can see pictures of it.

If you don't have a GPS let me know and I'll give you exact instructions on how to get there.

It's easy to get on and off the freeway from there so no worries.

Collie

Reply to: Any campground near Coeur d'Alene open early October?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted