We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My husband is running IronMan. What do I do on Sunday?

In cooperation with: Idaho Division of Tourism
Which Coeur d'Alene hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California's Wine...
reviews: 2
My husband is running IronMan. What do I do on Sunday?

Hi!

We will be in Couer d'Alene in a few days. My husband is running his first ever IronMan. We don't know anybody there, so on Sunday, the day of the race, I'll have the town to myself, so to speak, for a good 13 hours or so. What can you suggest?

Thank you!

5 replies to this topic
Marcellus, New York
reviews: 160
1. Re: My husband is running IronMan. What do I do on Sunday?

When your spouse is doing IM, in my experience you wait for your hubby to go through T1 and T2 and cheer him on. :D

Seriously, I didn't find a shortage of things to do all the times my hubby did IMLP. There will be plenty of spouses in the same situation. Just wander around and check things out. If Coeur d'Alene is anything like Lake Placid, you won't have an easy time getting in and out of town, or parking for that matter, so it's probably just a matter of walking around and finding places/things to look at.

California's Wine...
reviews: 2
2. Re: My husband is running IronMan. What do I do on Sunday?

Your advice is super-helpful. Thank you so much for your perspective.

Looking forward to hearing from some locals! Thank you in advance!

Marcellus, New York
3. Re: My husband is running IronMan. What do I do on Sunday?

I know you are looking for locals, but I've got to think the IM events are pretty standard, so I thought I'd offer the following. One way to kill time is to pick up the bike after your husband goes through T2. At IMLP they had tickets for transition bag and bike pickup, and I went and got the bike and bags once the cutoff for T2 and starting the run had passed (late afternoon, I think). It gives you something to do, and it also helps out after the race is over, as you can just head back to your room.

One note - if it is hot out, don't forget to let some air out of the tires on the bike if you stash it inside your vehicle (or even on a roof rack)!

Edited: 1:48 pm, June 25, 2014
Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane, Chelan
reviews: 39
4. Re: My husband is running IronMan. What do I do on Sunday?

Gloria, it's not going to be hot out that day so no worries there.

The poster who said parking isn't easy to find is so right, sometimes on a normal day it's hard.

If you do get bored attempt to get to I90 and head west to the Spokane valley mall lots to do there, window shopping at least and food..

It's a bad day in Spokane as well, that weekend they are having Hoopfest the largest 3 on 3 basketball tournament in the world so I'd stick with walking around Coeur d"alene or trying to make it to the mall. The mall is about 20 minutes from CD.

Collie

Marcellus, New York
5. Re: My husband is running IronMan. What do I do on Sunday?

So how did it go, OP? Perhaps you would consider posting so when people search these forums in the future they can find first-hand input on what to do and where to go while their SO does IMCd'A.

Edited: 12:12 pm, July 04, 2014
Reply to: My husband is running IronMan. What do I do on Sunday?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted