We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Idaho - where to go?

In cooperation with: Idaho Division of Tourism
Which Coeur d'Alene hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
reviews: 30
First visit to Idaho - where to go?

My husband & I live in Kent, WA. We're planning to do a 2-3 days visit in June leaving on a Saturday & coming back the following Monday or Tuesday. Our schedule is flexible so we're not sure which weekend yet.

We're in our 50ties. We have never been there before & we're not sure where to go & what to do. We will be driving. We like easy to moderate hikes, casual but good food & exploring new places.

5 replies to this topic
Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane, Chelan
reviews: 34
1. Re: First visit to Idaho - where to go?

Give this a look...

www.coeurdalene.org

Lots of things to do..

You can take a lake cruise which is loads of fun. Lots of little shops and the Centennial trail goes through and beyond, so there is nice hiking.

You could also take a little trip to Wallace and take a mine tour, visit the museum and the oldest house of the ladies of the evening..

There is always Spokane if you get bored, which I'm sure you won't. but just in case...

www.visitspokane.com

www.spokaneriverfrontpark.com

www.spokanecentennialtrail.org

Collie

Seattle
2. Re: First visit to Idaho - where to go?

Thanks for your response Collie!

I'll take a look at the links. I had there's also a car show that weekend. I'm sure we won't get bored :-)

I will look at the list of restaurants here on TA but do you have any favorite casual restaurants to suggest that would make us want to come back over & over to Coeur D'Alene/Spokane?

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane, Chelan
reviews: 34
3. Re: First visit to Idaho - where to go?

Oh boy restaurants...that's a good question. There are a lot of specialty ones, then there are the chain restaurants, of those I like Applebees and it's just off the freeway between Coeur d'Alene and Spokane.

My favorite is the Mustard Seed but it's at Northtown Mall. There is the steamplant grill downtown which is fun.

Franks dinner is a destination for breakfast it's always busy, it's in an old railroad car, easy to get to off the freeway just 3 blocks.

In Coeur d'Alene a specialty one is Scratch. I'm sure there are lots more in Coeur d'Alene but I don't often go there to eat.

In Spokane there are tons so it just depends on what you like.

I can tell you that there is lots to see in and around north Idaho so you won't get bored, lol, and as I said before if you do hop over here it's only a 30 minute drive.

Collie.

Coeur d Alene, Idaho
reviews: 6
4. Re: First visit to Idaho - where to go?

Based on your interest in hikes a couple of suggestions:

In Coeur d' Alene, Tubbs Hill offers a great hiking opportunities along the lake in downtown - cdaid.org/763/…tubbs-hill

Another relatively close hike with great views of the lake is Mineral Ridge, east of town in the Wolf Lodge Bay/Beauty Bay area, reached by Highway 97 from Interstate 90 - blm.gov/id/st/en/visit_and_play/places_to_se…

A fun drive is up the Coeur d' Alene River Road along the Coeur d' Alene River. You reach it by going east on Interstate 90 about 35 miles to Kingston, Idaho exit 43 and travel along a paved road along a beautiful river with a potential stop for food at the famous Enaville Resort.

Seattle
5. Re: First visit to Idaho - where to go?

Great! Thanks for the suggestions!

Would you have any suggestions for best places to stop for walks/hikes along I-90 between Ellensburg & Spokane? We'll probably drive directly to Ellensburg & stop there for lunch. We would like to stop for a walk to digest & to loosen up our legs shortly after before we continue East.

Reply to: First visit to Idaho - where to go?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted