We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report: Day trip to Eagle Watch

In cooperation with: Idaho Division of Tourism
Which Coeur d'Alene hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 67
Trip report: Day trip to Eagle Watch

The Idaho forum has been so dead lately, I thought I would post a quick update on the bald eagles at Lake Coeur d'Alene. I drove up for the day yesterday. The eagle count is down this year as apparently the kokanee salmon, on which they feed, have rebounded in Lake Pend Orielle so many have stayed up there. Still we managed to see 5-6 dozen eagles in trees in the Wolf Lodge Bay area. I love them when there are 4 or 5 stacked up in a snag! There were guys from the BLM and local birding groups out yesterday with several spotting scopes that you could look thru, but we could easily pick them out with our not-very-powerful binoculars. We spend quite a bit of time watching them soar out of the trees and fish for lunch. The weather was not too bad...mid 30's so it was comfortable standing around bird watching!

Collie, you need to drive over and check them out!

Pam

3 replies to this topic
Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane, Chelan
reviews: 34
1. Re: Trip report: Day trip to Eagle Watch

Pam so I've read. I see them from time to time in riverside state park at the bowl and Pitcher about 10 minutes from me.

One time were we on the walking bridge that goes across the Spokane river and a native American man was standing there, someone asked about eagles he said wait and began calling them, making the eagle call, soon two arrived and flew over head, we were impressed.

We even see blue herons on the rocks in the middle of the river downtown course there's a gorge there so they feel safe.

Lots of Osprey around, one dropped a fish on the sidewalk next to my gate one day what a surprise. It landed on one of the trees and couldn't hold it.

I like living close to the river.

It would be fun to see so many at once.

One of these days when you come up we'll have to meet for coffee or something.

Collie

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 67
2. Re: Trip report: Day trip to Eagle Watch

Wow, very cool about the eagle call! And the osprey dropping it's catch is wild. Hope it didn't get too stinky.

Yes, I will drop you a PM next time I am headed up! Coffee would be great.

Pam

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane, Chelan
reviews: 34
3. Re: Trip report: Day trip to Eagle Watch

Pam no as a matter of fact it had just happened, the poor fish.I had to throw it away I should have barbecued it and given it to the cats but I was so shocked I didn't think straight. It was a big fish too.

Good do let me know next time you come in.

Collie

Reply to: Trip report: Day trip to Eagle Watch
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted