We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Retirement Destination?

In cooperation with: Idaho Division of Tourism
Which Coeur d'Alene hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fallbrook Ca
Retirement Destination?

I am retiring from the Marines in a couple more years and my wife and I are considering CDA as our retirement location. We will be "working" retirees in order to supplement my retirement income. We currently live in the SoCal area. We are avid fisherman, love to RV and the outdoors, and are trying to escape the crowds and fast pace of life down here. Our main concern is health care, we want to be able to access a military treatment facility, does anyone on this forum have experience with Fairchild AFB medical? Also what is the job market like for 50+ year olds up that way? Right now we are planning a trip in December to come up and look around, and so we can see what winter is like in the area, not a lot of snow in SoCal. Thanks for reading and any input would be greatly appreciated.

18 replies to this topic
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 79
11. Re: Retirement Destination?

Thought of you this afternoon as I traveled home beside the gorgeous, sparkling Clearwater River and was watching the fly fishermen while also trying to keep my eyes on the road.

Here is the link to fishing regs.

fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/fish/?getPage=38

You are probably used to 4WD, so don't mean to insult you with this statement, but 4WD helps you GO, but doesn't help stop or corner in icy/snowy conditions. (I always think there are probably a lot of lurkers and just wanted to get that out there!)

Pam

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane, Chelan
reviews: 39
12. Re: Retirement Destination?

Good one Pam. Yes many people from the south don't know how to drive in the winter weather and we can't blame them cause the driving is so different. It does sound like the poster is aware so that's good.

Collie

spokane, wa
reviews: 1
13. Re: Retirement Destination?

Keep in mind that Washington has no income tax. Also the VA hospital here is awesome and will soon have a big personnel influx (i've heard it will soon become a teaching hospital). It's located almost in downtown Spokane, but on the northwest part of town. If you're going to want to access the VA hospital and Fairchild AFB you might want to look closer to Spokane.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
14. Re: Retirement Destination?

...but Idaho has lower sales tax! lol

Pam

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
reviews: 306
15. Re: Retirement Destination?

true

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane, Chelan
16. Re: Retirement Destination?

I also got the idea he preferred The Coeur d'Alene area not Spokane.

Besides it's easy to get from there to here 35 minutes nothing compared to commutes in CA.

Where's your next trip to Pam?

Well I off for a luncheon engagement.

Collie

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
17. Re: Retirement Destination?

It is an easy commute, and traffic wise you will probably scoff at it compared to where you are, lol! I[m sure the plows jump on it early since it is the major truck route.

Collie...Wales was so awesome not sure ~anything~ else can match it, but will probably try Ireland next spring.

Pam

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane, Chelan
18. Re: Retirement Destination?

Pam I went in May and it was perfect weather for Ireland not the usual so I was thrilled about that.

Wales is great loved it also, so many wonderful places to go in the world.

Collie

Reply to: Retirement Destination?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted