We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Retirement Destination?

In cooperation with: Idaho Division of Tourism
Which Coeur d'Alene hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fallbrook Ca
Retirement Destination?

I am retiring from the Marines in a couple more years and my wife and I are considering CDA as our retirement location. We will be "working" retirees in order to supplement my retirement income. We currently live in the SoCal area. We are avid fisherman, love to RV and the outdoors, and are trying to escape the crowds and fast pace of life down here. Our main concern is health care, we want to be able to access a military treatment facility, does anyone on this forum have experience with Fairchild AFB medical? Also what is the job market like for 50+ year olds up that way? Right now we are planning a trip in December to come up and look around, and so we can see what winter is like in the area, not a lot of snow in SoCal. Thanks for reading and any input would be greatly appreciated.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 86
1. Re: Retirement Destination?

Planning a trip in Dec, Jan or Feb is a good time to assess the winter weather we get. In Dec, be sure to head to Wolf Lodge Bay to see the Bald Eagles who gather to feed on the kokanee salmon. They usually start coming in around the first part of Dec and peak around Christmas week, then fly off. There is a BLM site that does an eagle count, but with the government shutdown that site is of course down as well.

Here is a link I think will work once things are back up and going.

blm.gov/id/…eagle_watch.html

Sorry, can't answer your medical questions, altho the CdA and Spokane areas have very good medical facilities overall and are tertiary care centers for all of N. Idaho and Eastern WA.

Pam

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
reviews: 310
2. Re: Retirement Destination?

hey, DObby,

you make it sound so nice up there!

we have all the requirements in my area, but not the military facilities, and i have to check you out before you are allowed to come and live here!

maybe try mountain home??and you could live in Boise..nice place.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane, Chelan
reviews: 40
3. Re: Retirement Destination?

Rick, Spokane has a large vets hospital and center here. You shouldn't have any problems. You and your wife should also be able to get all your prescriptions free.

I don't really know about the job market for you but the Spokane area might be better for that you could still live in Cd'A and commute, many people do both ways.

I'd also place this on the WA forum for more ideas.

Collie

Edited: 8:23 pm, October 02, 2013
Fallbrook Ca
4. Re: Retirement Destination?

Collie thanks for the info, that is good to know the VA hospital is in the area.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
5. Re: Retirement Destination?

Well Rick, it looks like we are going to fight over you!

Charley, you need to come up and see these eagles! Sometimes at the peak there are 250 or 300! All poised in the trees around the bay area trying to scoop up those kokanee.

Pam

Fallbrook Ca
6. Re: Retirement Destination?

What kind of snow cover can we expect in December? Should I be renting a 4 WD vehicle for our time up there? The eagles sound great, by the way is there fishing allowed that time of year?

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
reviews: 310
7. Re: Retirement Destination?

yes, for fishing and yes for a 4 wheel drive...you just never know...idaho has wacky weather, sometimes...but DObby and Collie will give you great info...have fun in idaho..

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane, Chelan
reviews: 40
8. Re: Retirement Destination?

Rick, you should rent a 4 wheel drive and just in case carry chains that said I've lived in the area for many many years and more often then not there is no snow around that time or if it does it melts away the next day there is always an exception, mostly the first real snow comes around Christmas, this does not hold true for the higher elevations.

As to fishing yes there is....my son is an avid fisherman and he said in December steelhead fishing is great, it's in Lewiston, ID, that's Pams territory she might have some ideas on it. Then he goes fishing for rainbow trout at lake Roosevelt at a launching site called Lincoln or another called 7 bays, he said he has all that info at home and he can get it to you when he comes home from work tonight.

Collie

Edited: 11:44 am, October 03, 2013
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
9. Re: Retirement Destination?

Agree with Collie about the snow. I have seen some things that say we will have an El Nino neutral year but dont know if they have decided for sure yet. If that is the case, the last neutral year we had a ton of snow for the season and had a good bit before Christmas.

Im on my phone and cant copy the link for the fishing rules. Lots of steelhead fishing on the Clearwater in Lewiston which is 1.5 - 2 hrs south of CdA.

Pam

Fallbrook Ca
10. Re: Retirement Destination?

Okay, i will plan to get a 4wd and bring the fly rods. Thanks.