We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from SLC to Boise in Nov.

In cooperation with: Idaho Division of Tourism
Which Boise hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wahiawa, Hawaii...
Driving from SLC to Boise in Nov.

Hello all!

I'm currently getting ready to move back to Idaho from Hawaii(husband is getting out of the army)

I will be flying with my 2 animals, and according to an airlines website if I understood correctly they will not fly animals from Salt lake into boise, if this is the case I will probably just drive up into Boise, which is fine since I love road trips and seeing new places.

I was wondering what the road condition on average are for Mid November travel from SLC into Idaho, and the best routes.

Thanks!

Idaho
reviews: 17
1. Re: Driving from SLC to Boise in Nov.

While it's not unusual to see snow in mid-November, chances are probably better than average that you won't experience bad roads at that time.

The fastest route is to take I-15 north out of Salt Lake to Tremonton, UT, and then proceed to take I-84 from Tremonton to Boise.

In bad weather, that stretch of I-84 from Tremonton to approximately Burley, ID, will close because of snow/wind. There are signs, of course, which would warn you if that happened. You could either weather out the storm in Tremonton, or you could simply take I-15 north of there to Pocatello, ID. From Pocatello, you take I-86 west, and it meets up with I-84. Going this way would take an additional 1 or 2 hours.

Once in Idaho, you can dial "511" for current road conditions. Online, you can visit 511.idaho.gov for current road conditions AND to view cameras. I use the camera feature quite often to see what conditions look like on the route I'm preparing to travel.

Good luck and safe traveling!

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
reviews: 290
2. Re: Driving from SLC to Boise in Nov.

you are going to be pretty safe , as we watch the weather patterns all the time..i 84 from tremmonton to boise is the only way to go in my 36 years of driving up here.

there will be no problems this time of year...i hope. the sun is out here, but cold, and the weather patterns show no precip at this time.

keep looking at the weather on the computer, and this will give you a good idea.

only the airlines can tell you if they fly into boise or not. you could also try twin...and that is a much easier drive to boise.

Wahiawa, Hawaii...
3. Re: Driving from SLC to Boise in Nov.

Thank you both for your replies! I really appreciate it!

Twin Falls, Idaho
reviews: 36
4. Re: Driving from SLC to Boise in Nov.

Late to the game here. Delta has an embargo on pets checked as baggage in the winter, but that only applies to flights between SLC and Sun Valley, Twin Falls and Jackson Hole. Boise should be OK, but there might be a limit on the number of kennels per flight.

Smooth travels on the roads!

5. Re: Driving from SLC to Boise in Nov.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 19, 2013