We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just a few questions about Tybee Island and Savannah

Which Tybee Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tracy City...
reviews: 19
Just a few questions about Tybee Island and Savannah

My family (sister, her husband and 4 kids, me, my husband and 2 kids and our mom and dad) will be staying on the northern end of Tybee island in late July. A few questions:

1. How crowded is the north island beach?

2. Best place to eat that can accomodate this many people.

3. We have small children and some teens. would you recommend anything in particular in Savannah to do?

4. Cheapest places to buy groceries?

Thanks in advance!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 256
1. Re: Just a few questions about Tybee Island and Savannah

I am bumping this post up!! Wish I could help but we always just do a day trip out from Savannah and stay in historic district. Hopefully some of the locals will post.

Tracy City...
reviews: 19
2. Re: Just a few questions about Tybee Island and Savannah

Thank you PeachBelle8288

atlanta ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 12
3. Re: Just a few questions about Tybee Island and Savannah

1. Remember that Tybee is only a little over one mile long, so which end is more or less crowded in the summer really varies on bookings at individual condos/hotels, and can vary day to day, but bet on both ends being crowded.

2. Your best bet with a large crowd is to change your eating hours so that ANY restaurant can accommodate your group (also may qualify you for early-bird specials). You mentioned grocery stores, so I assume you have a condo w/kitchen. Cook breakfast in your room or get someone to go out and bring back cheap breakfast from a fast food place (most have some kind of 2 biscuits for $3.00 deal). Skip lunch, eat dinner around 3-4pm, have some snacks in your room for late-night. Otherwise, you will be stuck with the usual chain-restaurants that you have back home (red lobster, olive garden, long horn, or outback).

3. Put "kids or children" in the searchbox above your question, and search the "savannah forums" as well, as this question has been answered multiple times in previous posts. Walking the River Street area is friendly to all ages. You will have to judge other activities based on your knowledge of your group. But there is one opportunity not to miss that will only cost you about $10.00 for the whole group: Buy two crabbing/fishing nets and two cheap flashlights at Walmart. When you go out on the beach at night, the little tiny white crab's eyes will glow when hit by flashlight light, your kids can then chase, catch, and release the crabs, while the adults stroll the beach -- I promise you it will be the most fun your kids have had in years, assuming they are above age 4-5.

4. The more in-land you move, the cheaper the groceries get. Typically Kroger and Ingles (you need their loyalty card - free) are the cheapest stores with the most selection. Super Walmarts tend to be cheap on shelf items, but high on meat. Publix is highest, but also typically has the best quality produce and meats. We tend to stop at the Kroger on Abercorn Street near I-95 (think its Hwy 204 at the I95 exit) before arriving at our hotel (you may not have room for groceries on the way in) which is a little out of the way, but Abercorn takes you straight into Savannah, or you can get back on the interstate.

PA
reviews: 3
4. Re: Just a few questions about Tybee Island and Savannah

Northbeach will not be as crowded as Southbeach as most folks go there for the beach and pubic parking nearby. Sundae Cafe is on the north side and has a great lunch time menu that is very reasonably priced. Lighthouse pizza is really good and they deliver. Everyone will enjoy the Crab Shack because it is a place to see, but we don't like the food. The Breakfast Club has a wonderful breakfast but you will have to wait in line, but the food is great. The North Beach Bar & Grill is very good and they have outside seating that would accomdate your group. Marlin Monroe's is on the north side and has great food and seating right on the beach. Doc's Bar has a world class chef and his Italian food is not like we have had anywhere in the world. Bernie's has a great oysters on the half shell during happy hour and their sandwiches are great. I would recommend taking a trolly tour in Savannah, it's the best way to see the city. The teens would enjoy the riverwalk in Savannah and southbeach in Tybee as well as the lighthouse. Fort Pulaski is full of history. As far as groceries, we like to patronize the local businesses and the IGA would have everything you need. If necessary, there is a Publix and Walmart as you come into Tybee. If you have a chance, read the "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" before you go to Savannah, very interesting and it will give you some history of Savannah. Take a drive through the Boneventure Cemetary in Savannah, it is something to see and you will see things that you will never see again :)

5. Re: Just a few questions about Tybee Island and Savannah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 09, 2014