We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tybee Island Trip in June

Which Tybee Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tennessee
reviews: 19
Tybee Island Trip in June

My family and I are planning a trip to Tybee island in June. We have never been there before, so I have a few questions.

1. Where is the best place to kayak? We have never been before I want to try it out.

2. Are their any good areas to snorkel at?

3. Any dog friendly beaches?

4. And how are the bugs? Mosquitoes?

Thanks for your help! We can't wait to visit!

4 replies to this topic
Boston
reviews: 25
1. Re: Tybee Island Trip in June

In order of your questions: 1) best bet, IMHO is to go out with one of the kayak companies that you will find along Rt 80 (Butler Ave) as you approach the center of the island. They know the tides and where you can and can't go to. I wouldn't try it on my own

2) no snorkling period. You need coral and fish and calm waters but this is not the place for snorkling

3) there is one big beach along the length of TI but I dont' believe they allow dogs ever. Maybe on a tight leash but hopefully someone local will know. I wouldn't count on it thought

4) bugs are bugs but I think you will be fine away from the marshes. We've had issues with knats who come out mostly in April I think.

You will love TI if you are a Jimmy-Buffet kind of person. We love it and always look forward to our next trip!

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
reviews: 5
2. Re: Tybee Island Trip in June

Let me add to Karries answers.

For Kayaking there are a couple of places. There is one on 80 that I can not remember the name. The other is north beach Kayak at Lazarrotta creek. Both are good and they rent kayaks and do guided trips. Do a search for the phone numbers. The back river / little Tybee area is good for kayak tours.

2. No there is no snorkeling. Due to the water color you want be able to see anything if you did go.

3. DOGS ARE NOT ALLOWED ON THE BEACH. Not yelling I just want to be clear on this. you may see people with a dog on the beach but the entire beach both front and back is no dogs. They will give you a ticket and it will be from 100 to 300 plus dollars. I don't like that but I understand the reasons but which they would allow it at given times and places.

4. The bugs will not be a problem most of the time on the beach. Inland or near the marshes they will be a problem. Make plans to have bug spray when you go kayaking. Mosquitoes and sand gnats are the big problem. Sometimes you will have a horse fly or deer fly after you.

Tennessee
reviews: 19
3. Re: Tybee Island Trip in June

Thanks for the responses! We normally go to the beach on the gulf coast, but we are really looking forward to the small town feel of Tybee. Any must things to do or places to eat at?

Boston
reviews: 25
4. Re: Tybee Island Trip in June

Food is relaative :) We love Sundae Cafe for an elegant meal, AJs when we want to watch the dolphins jump around, Stingrays when we're in sweaty shorts and just want a cold bev, the Social Club when we want a relaxing dinner, and North Beach Grill when we want to look at the beach while wearing those sweaty shorts and Ts. For fun, we walk the beach over and over, talk to the people fishing at the end of the pier on the Pavilion, take a ton of pics, go kayaking, swimming, and bike around the neighborhoods.

Reply to: Tybee Island Trip in June
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted