We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July vacation to Savannah/Tybee Island - suggestions??

Which Tybee Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Corbin, Kentucky
July vacation to Savannah/Tybee Island - suggestions??

My family (myself, husband, and 10 yr old son) is planning a family vacation in July to Savannah, staying in Tybee Island. We're looking at staying 4 days/3 nights.

Wanting family friendly activities, we love history and nature, and everything that 10 yr old boys like!

I'm looking for recommendations & suggestions on where to stay and what to do??

Alpena, Michigan
reviews: 78
1. Re: July vacation to Savannah/Tybee Island - suggestions??

We go to Tybee every summer and I guess I would make a couple of suggestion. Try for either a timeshare/condo such as Tybrisa (tybrisa.com) or a vacation rental home. You'll have much more room and enjoy your stay so much better. Between dolphin tours, the lighthouse, the museum and Fort Pulaski, it could keep you pretty busy. Also check out tybeevisit.com for a great deal of usefull information.

Enjoy your stay.

Corbin, Kentucky
2. Re: July vacation to Savannah/Tybee Island - suggestions??

Thank you so much! This is the point in my planning when I start getting excited about everything and our vacation, and then totally nervous about not knowing what to expect with the area and in finding the right place!!

Anyway... The prices are a bit more than I initially anticipated and I'm having difficulty finding something. I'll definitely check out the places you mentioned!

May I ask where u typically stay each summer?

Alpena, Michigan
reviews: 78
3. Re: July vacation to Savannah/Tybee Island - suggestions??

We always seem to gravitate towards Tybrisa Resort. We love watching what goes on around the pier and everything seems to be close by. Good luck in your search for something that suits you...I think you'll love Tybee.

Bloomington, Indiana
reviews: 11
4. Re: July vacation to Savannah/Tybee Island - suggestions??

Hi!

We, too have a son (who is 11) and have been bringing him to Tybee for the past four years. This past visit we took the lighthouse tour - very cool view! Captain Mike's dolphin tours are also awesome and not to be missed. The boats are big and the water often choppy so boat pops up and down on water but no seasickness as I feared! Also visit the marine science museum by the pier. It is tiny but has some cool creatures to look and learn about. They also offer walking tours of the coast that are really fun. You will see and learn about many creatures that live on the shore - conchs, hermit crabs, etc. Many great restaurants to try and nice ice cream shop on Tybresia St. Depending on what you are looking for as far as accommodations go, I would stay away from the condos/hotels on the oceanfront by the pier if you don't like crowds. Very busy area. I always preferred quieter, less crowded beaches so we have rented small cottages mid-island that are one or two blocks from the beach. This past year we decided to make the leap and bought a small house that we are now renting. It is one city block from the oceanfront and on a very quiet residential street. Feel free to check it out here:

tybeejoyvacationrentals.com/…

If you like biking, Tybee is made for it. We ride our bikes or walk almost everywhere we want to go.You can rent bikes from Tim's Beach Gear and he will drop them at your house. Pretty reasonable prices. The drive into Savannah is about 20 minutes and is a must-visit. The historic and haunted trolley tours through Greylines are fantastic!

Hope you have a great trip. Tybee is fantastic!

Leslie

cincinnati, ohio
reviews: 88
5. Re: July vacation to Savannah/Tybee Island - suggestions??

We're leaving for Tybee on 4 May, staying at the Savannah Beach and Racket Club via reservation with Sandy's by the Shore booking agency as we have for the last 10 years. These are 1 bedroom rental condos with 2 bunk beds and should run you 600 or so for those days. We pay the extra for an end unit with its magnificent view of the estuary and the passing ships, but cheaper units are available along the building. Lighthouse Point is another option on the Atlantic Beach.

They kid about Tybee being lost in the 50's but that's really its beauty - Tybee Time. When you cross the Lazaretto Creek bridge, time seems to change and the world goes away - just you, and the sand and the surf!! Plop a chair down on the beach and let the sound of the surf lull you into a restful doze.

Unfortunately, most of the motels are from that era and as the reviews indicate are not outstanding although a couple B&Bs are super.

Things to do: At SB&RC, ur 50 yards from the beach, qtr mile from the ocean, fish or swim either. Fort Pulaski for a 10 year old boy - Nirvana. Got 2 eat one breakfast at the Breakfast Club - he was one of the chef's for John Kennedy Jr's. wedding reception many years ago. Have Capt Stan Allen take you out fishing or birdwatching, rent a kayak, do a dolphin watch but watch out for irate country-western singers, and get some fresh shrimp down at the shrimp boats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Biking, beach walking, strolling town, fish off the pier - million things to do here. ALL FREE!!!!!! Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS- email me if you need anything specific.

Edited: 1:23 pm, April 28, 2013
6. Re: July vacation to Savannah/Tybee Island - suggestions??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 30, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Tybee Island