We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yes, More Wedding Questions for Tybee Island Locals......

Which Tybee Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wake Forest, North...
reviews: 2
Yes, More Wedding Questions for Tybee Island Locals......

My son who is now in basic training for the Army will be getting married on Tybee Island when he get his leave in June. I am planning the wedding and need some assistance from locals or those who know the island as I am in NC, his fiance is in FL, and he is in MO.

Getting married on the beach and have determined the north end is the best. At what area is the best to walk out on for the ceremony. Going to have chairs, runner, and arbor, etc....

My main concern at this point is the reception. They are paying for the wedding themselves and needless to say are on a very tight budget. Have checked into the Wedding Chapel and the Cottage at the Light House and either it is too expensive or not big enough. Looking at about 60 in the party.

What is the American Legion, The Shrine Club and The Guard House (says it can hold 180 but pics do not looks like it even comes close) like for a reception. I would consider the Grille but want a dance floor and dancing.

Any other suggestions for a reception. Feel like at some point I saw a private house available for the back yard.

Any suggestions on reasonable hotels close to the north end of the beach.

Any suggestions on reasonable restaurants for the rehearsal dinner.

Any suggestions on how to obtain a shuttle for the guests to the wedding site.

Thanks in advance for anyone that is willing to help out.

Army Mom......

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
reviews: 5
1. Re: Yes, More Wedding Questions for Tybee Island Locals......

Lots of good questions that hopefully some one can answer. I would check with the Tybee Island official website on beach weddings. I recall that they require booking the wedding so that there is no conflict between weddings. They maybe able to answer most of your questions too.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 58
2. Re: Yes, More Wedding Questions for Tybee Island Locals......

You need a wedding coordinator for this.

Boston
reviews: 25
3. Re: Yes, More Wedding Questions for Tybee Island Locals......

IMHO you don't need a planner, you just need to make a lot of calls! We debated this option for our daughter before she chose a destination wedding in Mexico. On the North Beach side, you need to call the town to get permission I think to allow people to park at the lot next to the NB Grille and to put out chairs I think. I don't recall it being a big deal. We looked at all the places you mentioned and they were all small. We were thinking of around 50 people I think. I think we ended up thinking the American Legion would work. I would go to each of these sites, and they do have websites. You should be able to get enough info from there. On the NB side, its mostly condo units for rent, not hotels. You really need to either stay in the HD if you need a real hotel or book a few rooms at one of the motels on Tybee (all pretty servicable but very mediocre) or book a few condo units on any part of the island OR book a couple of houses. Restaurants are all in the mid to south section, not NB except for the Grille. No idea about shuttles, sorry.

I would scan this site for all the entries as it is a frequent question. Oh yeah, if you park at the huge parking lot at the NB Grille, you would all walk in from there, I don't recall seeing any other option myself on frequent trips there.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 58
4. Re: Yes, More Wedding Questions for Tybee Island Locals......

http://tybeeislandweddingassociation.com/

Wake Forest, North...
reviews: 2
5. Re: Yes, More Wedding Questions for Tybee Island Locals......

John 144 - thanks for the advice I will do that.

Unfortunately they cannot afford a wedding coordinator. That's why I am doing it. Trying to help them out.

Karrieb - Answered a great deal of my questions. The American Legion and the Shrine Club are looking like good possibilities. I appreciate all the infor about where to stay and eat. This gives me an idea of which direction to go in.

Onemoreroad - Thanks for the site. I haven't come across that one yet. will check it out. Will post more if I have any questions. Thanks everybody!!!

Army Mom

Boston
reviews: 25
6. Re: Yes, More Wedding Questions for Tybee Island Locals......

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you like and I'll pass on my email address if you need more help. I can maybe make more recommendations. We come to Sav a couple of times a year (we own a home on Wilmington Island) and always stay on Tybee if we are there for a week. I did a lot of scoping things out last trip thinking we would be planning our daughter's wedding there but she chose Mexico instead :(

7. Re: Yes, More Wedding Questions for Tybee Island Locals......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 29, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Tybee Island