We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Paddys Day

Which Tybee Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mercer, Wisconsin
reviews: 1
St. Paddys Day

We are going to tybee March 13-19. My 2 concerns: will it be over run with spring break college kids?

What will the weather be like?

Any help out there????

Boston
reviews: 25
1. Re: St. Paddys Day

What you have to watch out for is a Spring Break type weekend that ruins Tybee for about 1.5 days on a weekend. I forget the name but it's Orange something or other and I'm sure a search using Orange and Tybee will help you out. Its a horrible mess for only that weekend and from what I understand it's not a set weekend, the college kids (all local) decide shortly before the weekend. Other than that, I think you'll be OK as far as Spring Breaks go.

Weather wise- you won't be in swimsuits all the time or have super warm water to swim in but it is the South and it will be much warmer than places north. We LOVE Tybee and have been many times and do plan a return this March or April for a few days. You won't get a ton of pretty flowers as they won't be in bloom for a few more weeks but if you like laid back you should enjoy it. No snow is what I look for LOL!

Saint Simons...
reviews: 35
2. Re: St. Paddys Day

It's called Orange Crush weekend. I don't know what weekend it is scheduled but it is definitely around April. Do your research on this website and others before booking anything, however I'm sure March is too early. Just be sure.

Edited: 9:10 pm, January 07, 2013
Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
reviews: 5
3. Re: St. Paddys Day

Orange crush is in April or May so that will not be a problem. The week you are planning on being at Tybee you want have a problem with the college crowd. Now in Savannah you have either the second or third largest St. Patrick's day event in the U.S. Savannah will be crowded and there may be some overflow in hotel bookings at Tybee.

The weather is like Kerrieb said above.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
reviews: 61
4. Re: St. Paddys Day

svannah is a total zoo on st pattys day--- folks driking everywhere, lots of drunks--if you want a college party tahts the day, but id avoid any weekend or day of 3/17

Tybee Island GA
reviews: 8
5. Re: St. Paddys Day

Hello from a Tybee local,

I live on Tybee and have been here for many Orange Crush events.

Here is what I have seen:

Orange Crush is usually early in May.

The event does not involve the entire weekend and if you are not staying right at the Pier all you will really see is alot of cars.

But only for about 5 or 6 hours on that Saturday.

Participants usually begin arriving around 12 noon and leave the island the same day around 5 or 6pm.

It really does not last very long.

Yes, last year the beach area at the Pier was left in deplorable condition as the participants did not pick up their own trash. The City of Tybee with help from locals had the beach cleaned by the next morning and all was well.

If you stay in an area other than the pier all is fine.

Also, I took my teenager to a popular Florida spring break destination ONE TIME. I have never seen Tybee become a "wild, teen spring break party". And I know the difference!!! Teens don't ride around in the back of pick-up trucks drinking alcoholic beverages - believe me!! Tybee Police are on the ball at all times.

And who knows about the weather. It is now early January here on Tybee and weather forecast for this weekend is 78 degrees - it might get to 80!!

It is all relevant. If you are from Ohio you will think Tybee is HOT.

Hope this helps.

Lauren

6. Re: St. Paddys Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 10, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Tybee Island