We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tybee island good place to live?

Which Tybee Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, New York
reviews: 1
tybee island good place to live?

My wife and I are in our early 30's and we have a 9 month old child and we are looking to relocate to a east coast beach community thats mostly out of the hurricane zone. Ive heard mixed reviews and Im wonder about any and all Tybee info. We come from the hustle and bustle of NY and are sick and tired of living to work really want to work to live. We want a laid back beach town that offers good schools and sports for our child and just a great community of people to get to know and make friends with. Does Tybee offer this? does anyone have any other suggestions of place that does if they dont think Tybee can offer this? Please help any info would be great

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 4
1. Re: tybee island good place to live?

I've never lived in the area, but i'm a frequent visitor to Tybee Island. Every time I return, I love it even more! The people are laid back and friendly, it's always clean, and I've always felt safe. As far as schools go, they've recently established Tybee Island Maritime Academy - a charter school scheduled to open next fall. Everyone has high hopes for the academy, and I believe it currently accepts kindergarten through 4th grade. By the time you little one is ready to start school, this will definitely be a great option.

Clearwater
reviews: 53
2. Re: tybee island good place to live?

We lived on Tybee for a year and a half or so after living in Savannah for 25 years. We were in a condo, half a block from the beach, surrounded by vacation condos.

We enjoyed it but I would say it is VERY quiet, even boring. That is not necessarily bad, if that is what you are looking for, the beach is always there, feed the gulls, enjoy the peace of it. In the summer it is busy, lots of people. I am torn really. There are only a couple decent restaurants, no great ones.

The back side of the island, a few blocks away from the beach, is more normal. People who live there all year, maybe have lived there for maybe generations. It is a place that fits perfect for people who belong there.

My last stop at the post office, with my truck full of stuff, someone I had never seen before said to me "You can't move off Tybee, where would you go? This is paradise" For him, it was, for us, it was nice, but less than paradise.

Kids go to the Wilmington Island schools, which are good, if I can offer any more, pm me and i will help all I can.

Think about Savannah or Wilmington Island, they may be just what you are looking for.

Edited: 9:22 pm, November 05, 2012
Boston
reviews: 25
3. Re: tybee island good place to live?

We own a home (we rent it out for now till retirement) on the next island over, Wilmington, and as BrianO says, that may be more of what you need overall. I "lived" on Tybee for a few weeks for work this past January and it is very, very quiet so will you get bored? The whole island is only about 3 miles long so you will feel at home almost immediately but then what?

Bigger question- can you get work? I look at that often to see if we could afford to retire early and move down with decent part time jobs and the answer is good luck! Unless you are used to a service job of some kind, you will be very hard pressed to find good professional level employment.

The other thing I found talking to a ton of local Tybee Islanders is that they SEEM to be pretty localized in their interests. In other words, there SEEMS to be an "all about Tybee" attitude which is fine unless you are used to living life with a much broader scope. Finally, services are few and far between so you may be in the car way more often than you want to go buy groceries, shop for clothes, etc.

Overall, I LOVE Tybee and look forward to every trip as we always stay there when visiting our house on Wilmington Island. But personally, I think I would feel pretty isolated being there 24-7-365.

Brooklyn, New York
reviews: 1
4. Re: tybee island good place to live?

Thank you guys for the input. Does seem kind of quiet , we are definitely looking to be in a more quiet area with the beach being our priority but we don't want to feel isolated and we want our child to grow up in a diverse area and Tybee does not sound like it would be. Coming from NY where everything is basically a block a way we might go nuts being in Tybee lol sounds like the perfect vacation place but definitely would want a place that has a little more to offer. We love to go out to eat so for sure disappointed to hear that there aren't any good restaurants , we enjoy walking everywhere (NYC traffic is the worst) love taking our son to parks and we are a big sports family so would want him to have access to a ton of sports and activities so perhaps Wilmington is for us gonna do some research. Just looking at it on the map it doesnt seem to have much coastline how are the beaches?? Really helps to be able to talk to real people I really appreciate your input.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 68
5. Re: tybee island good place to live?

Take a look at Beaufort DC. The beach is not right there, but 10 miles away on Hunting Island, but the river along the waterfront park downtown is quite nice.

Atlanta
6. Re: tybee island good place to live?

Find a real estate agent. This is a travel forum.

7. Re: tybee island good place to live?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

We're sorry - the TripAdvisor staff closed this topic because TripAdvisor does not facilitate discussions about relocation or real estate purchases because these topics are not considered to be travel-related.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:49 am, November 07, 2012